Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mining orders  (Read 964 times)

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mining orders
« on: October 08, 2006, 11:20:00 pm »

This struck me the other day while I was at work: an option in the orders section that was similar to the selection screens used for weapon and armor racks, that would allow you to tell your dwarves to e.g. not mine light stone, or to only mine ore. This would allow you to, say, locate a vein of iron, and then select a broad swath of mountain to dig out but have your dwarves ignore the rock and extract all the ore without you having to micromanage and designate each bit of ore as it becomes visible. Or let you cut out everything BUT the limestone lining the underground river, so that you can smooth/fortify that with less micromanagement as to what you mine and what you don't.

This could also be extended to collection of materials (stone and ore mostly), woodcutting (? not sure how that woudl help though), and possibly even hunting (though that might be a bit more difficult, since different climes have different animals).

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mining orders
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 12:42:00 am »

At the very least, a 'mine all ore from area, avoiding stone' command would definitely be useful.  Of course, graphically it would have to highlight the entire area to keep the player from seeing where the ore is before the dwarves dig to it...  but if they reached a particular square and it was something that they weren't supposed to dig via that designation, it would be promptly undesignated.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One