Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Salt Mines!!!  (Read 9135 times)

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Salt Mines!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 07:43:00 am »

An idea that would have to wait until the "break into small peices and recombine" feature gets added ...

Butchers and kitchens pick up blocks of salt which they add to meats and food.  A block of salt would last for 20 peices of meat, say.  (Takes a lot to manage an elephant.  Far less for a fox.)  Either having salt would raise food value.  Or having it would speed job completion.  Consider pemican.

This also lends itself to acquiring and using other spices.

Rylen

Pesty13480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 08:12:00 pm »

I don't know about the implications of the preservative aspect, do with that what you will in terms of that as you have greater minds that my own, but salt used to be a very lucrative resource back in the day for the same reason pepper was; not so much as a preservative, but because it did an admirable job at making semi-rotten meat taste much better.

I think, if salt were to be added to the game, it would be unwise to ignore the wealth aspect. Salt was worth far more than its weight in gold, back in the Kingdom of Mali. Or you could go with the traditional Roman aristocracy's love of the stuff.

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 12:30:00 am »

I'm 100% behind this idea but only if I can send an expeditionary force over to the Elf capital, do what needs to be done, enslave the survivors and plow salt into the earth so that nothing can ever grow there again.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 02:56:00 am »

I suggested that a while back.  I was enthralled with the idea of dwarves taking the 'salt soil' job, grabbing one grain of salt from a barrel, carefully taking it over to a farm plot, planting it, then running back to get another one...
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 08:42:00 am »

About salt production, it might be an idea to have different production methods for different races.  Dwarves and goblins would get it primarily from halite deposits, and thus have a readily-used and large but finite supply, while humans get it from oceans and thus have an infinite supply that has to be processed before use.

Also, it seems reasonable to store salt in bags like sand is.

bloodyfool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 12:41:00 pm »

maybe goblins would get it from dwarf child urine

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2006, 03:17:00 pm »

some salt in meals could be required once in a while, or your dwarves might get salt deficiencies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_deficiency

[ October 12, 2006: Message edited by: Fourth Triad ]

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2006, 01:02:00 am »

Salt deficiency wouldn't really be a problem if your dwarves are eating any significant amount of meat...  or if they're eating plants grown in a mineral-rich environment, like, say, underground.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One
Pages: 1 [2]