Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Autosave and Saving Issues  (Read 445 times)

Saer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Axeman
    • View Profile
Autosave and Saving Issues
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:23:59 am »

I've just begun playing Dwarf Fortress, I am addicted, odds are everyone else is too. I am following the guide someone posted here
But, one problem I had was saving a game. It autosaves every season, but usually I can't leave it on pause for extended periods when I am not playing, so I save it. I don't want to lose any of my hard work. When I load up my last file (organized by the year and season), usually it loads up to the previous save, or the previous season, and not my latest save. So, I lose some of my hard work, such as clearing out rooms, or building a new level to my fortress, or exploring.

Is anyone else having this same problem? Is it common? Maybe this could had already been posted about?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Autosave and Saving Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 12:21:27 pm »

The backup saves are the ones sorted by season and year. You want the save that doesn't have any of those labels.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 01:07:49 pm »

Yeah, the backups are a little misleading.  It gets a little weird though.  Basically, the backup saves just tack season-and-year onto the name of whatever game you loaded.  Which means that if you LOAD from a backup, and then it autosaves, you'll end up with a save with multiple sets of seasons and years in its name...

As a general rule, don't ever load from a game that has season and year in the name.  It will work fine!  But it is very confusing for this very reason.  Instead, if you need to restore from a backup, go into the data/save folder, nuke your Region1, and copy/rename one of your backups to Region1 (or Region#, whatever).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 02:27:08 pm »

It'd be less confusing if the backup saves were in save/backups or something like that.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels