Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caging Malfunction?  (Read 498 times)

Detrivus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caging Malfunction?
« on: April 19, 2009, 08:44:51 pm »

So I'm trying to let a bunch of animals out of their cages for the purposes of creating offspring for me to butcher, but my dwarves refuse to let them out so much as come along with a second cage to put them in, and then place them on the animal stockpile.  It's very annoying, because I'm getting spammed with these "Can't Release Large Animal" messages which make my framerate lurch and flood the bottom of my screen.

What can I do to actually let the animals roam free?  Is there some setting that causes this behaviour?

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
Re: Caging Malfunction?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 11:48:28 pm »

Make sure the cages aren't already tasks, and build them uin place for ease of use.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 12:14:09 am »

You must "build" the cage (i.e. put it somewhere as a building) to be able to let animals into or out of cages.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 02:18:36 am »

Cages must be built (which I assume is already the case if you're getting "cannot release large animal" warnings), and they must also not be forbidden or set for another task. I had this issue in a recent fortress when I'd forbidden everything in a large rectangle that covered my whole trap corridor. I'd kinda forgotten that my trap corridor wrapped around a few buildings, including a cage that held all of my dogs/puppies :-[ Took me a while to realise what I'd done.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Detrivus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 09:09:39 am »

I think the task thing is what's causing the problem.  I'm on a map with little to no wood and have yet to find any metal ore, so I don't have enough free cages for the cage traps at the entrance.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 10:00:09 am »

Do large animals have to be tamed before they can be released?  I know I'd be a little hesitant about unleashing a wild cougar in my living room..