Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crossbows in Weapon Traps  (Read 887 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Crossbows in Weapon Traps
« on: April 19, 2009, 07:09:28 am »

So i'm told you can stick Crossbows in Weapon Traps, how does that work exactly? Can i stick a bunch of them at the end of a hallway and have them shoot at enemies as they run down the hallway, or will they only fire bolts at adjacent enemies? Or do they just whack at adjacent enemies?

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
Re: Crossbows in Weapon Traps
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 07:11:05 am »

they fire at those who step on the trap, tho they cant get jammed if there is only crossbow's in the trap tho this costs ammo.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 07:33:04 am »

Pity, my visions of an automated crossbow trap firing a storm of bolts down a hallway will be unfufilled :(

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 07:34:21 am »

a legendary crossbowdwarf will make up for that dream
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 07:35:52 am »

Anyone know how many bolts are loaded into a trap, a single stack or a stack for each crossbow in the trap?
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 07:40:07 am »

i think a stack for each because if you have 10 crossbows in a trap and they put in 5 bone bolts it wont do so its prob a stack each.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 11:00:42 am »

So i'm told you can stick Crossbows in Weapon Traps, how does that work exactly?

Just fine, thanks for asking.

Yes, a trap gets 1 stack of bolts per crossbow, and that weapon can then "fire" (into that one tile only) that many times before it needs to be reloaded.  (Someone compared them to the automated defense guns from Aliens, firing at everything that comes near until they're out of ammo - works for me!) 

If some of the crossbows run out of ammo, the rest keep firing whenever someone triggers that trap - one shot per triggering (they don't unload everything on one target unless it keeps coming back for more.)

Be aware - while bone bolts are cheaper (if less deadly), they can also tend to be in smaller stacks, so your mechanics will want to go reload those traps sooner... with everything associated with that activity.  Otoh, if you have not forbidden steel bolts, they'll go right into those traps, even if you wanted them reserved for your archers.

You can also use bows and arrows if you have recovered some of them.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 07:28:00 pm »

Eh, i have two massive Magnetite deposits and about half a dozen Hematite veins, i'm not short of steel bolts :P

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 07:55:10 pm »

I'm getting deja-vu here.  I could swear I read the first half-dozen posts in this thread word-for-word while lurking about a year ago.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 09:36:50 pm »

hmm... could be a use for those 200 glass encrusted stacks of copper bolts i have so far from training weaponsmith/glassmaker/gemcutter/gemsetters on.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 09:39:28 pm »

hmm... could be a use for those 200 glass encrusted stacks of copper bolts i have so far from training weaponsmith/glassmaker/gemcutter/gemsetters on.

Pity you can't make your marksdwarfs train with them, but yeah, sounds like a good alternative.