Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ethics questions  (Read 661 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ethics questions
« on: May 17, 2009, 07:34:50 am »

If I understood the creature_standard file correctly, humanoids like gobbos and kobolds are butcherable and it's just the dwarven ethics keeping them from doing it, right? So if I were to change this entry in the dwarf entity_default:
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:UNTHINKABLE]
would they butcher, cook and eat them?

Also, what' the difference between this    [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:UNTHINKABLE] and [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:UNTHINKABLE]? Does the former allow you to "ready for slaughter" presently alive humanoids?

Another question: could you shed some light on this:
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE:APPALLING]
   [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:SHUN]?

How exactly am I to understand "shun" and "appalling" in game terms? I'm probably gonna go ahead and change this trophy_sapient entry to acceptable, because I feel my guys should be able to make trophies out of the skulls of gobs without anyone batting an eye.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
Re: ethics questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 07:47:17 am »

Ok, by what I know the one elves got (not sure) works for that, and the trophy ethics deside the order of use of materials....useing same race mats are lower on the list than other sapients but both are lower than non sapient non same race
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 08:04:02 am »

In that case, I'd better leave the same race thing as appalling (I was gonna make it unthinkable to forbid it altogether) lest this screws with anyone getting a fell mood. I'll change the entry about sapient trophies to acceptable, hoping that it'll give me goblin trophies and stuff (though come to think of it, I vaguely recall those already being made).

Regarding elves, they've got this:
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:UNTHINKABLE]
   [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]
and it confuses me. Does sapient_other refer to scavenging a corpse of someone killed in combat or in a trap or something, and sapient_kill to the direct hunting of a sapient beast?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 08:12:47 am »

SAPIENT_KILL means that if they kill a sapient in battle, they can eat it. Sort of like how some cultures around the world believed that if you ate a fallen enemy you could gain his strength, thats sort of thing.

SAPIENT_OTHER refers to all other sapients that were not killed by that creature. These could be prisoners, sapients killed by traps, and sapients killed by other sapients.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 08:21:20 am »

I've read in another thread (in fact, I bumped it) about a guy who used those options you mentioned, i.e. set them to acceptable, and his dwarfs still wouldn't butcher gobs.

And I'm hesitant to start a new fort before I know this for sure, because it would possibly take a couple of days playing before finding out if they're being butchered in practice.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 08:38:20 am »

If you want to butcher captured goblins you got to change something else....to something that is....
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 08:42:35 am »

If you want to butcher captured goblins you got to change something else....to something that is....

Right, so anyone got an idea what to change it to?

Also, I'm not just looking to butcher captured gobbos, but the ones fallen in battle as well. Also, it would be nice to be able to hunt other humanoids.