Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves and ammo use  (Read 650 times)

Momaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves and ammo use
« on: April 13, 2009, 02:41:21 pm »

When on Active Duty, military dwarves should drop training ammo, and pick up and carry a stack of metal bolts (if available) in addition to the metal bolts in their quiver.  This would give them two stacks to draw on once engaged.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves and ammo use
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 02:43:16 pm »

So, mark for training?

+1

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 03:08:52 pm »

Hmm.  I think that, ideally, a marksdwarf should have both hands free to properly fire.  I'm not sure how that actually works...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 04:43:03 pm »

In theory they're supposed to mix and match stacks of bolts until they have some 40 bolts in their quivers.

However this isn't quite working out like that.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 06:51:56 pm »

In theory they're supposed to mix and match stacks of bolts until they have some 40 bolts in their quivers.

However this isn't quite working out like that.

How about a similar system to current barrel stockpiling?
Allow quiver to carry up to 40 bolts.  Marksdwarf will try to find 8 stack of 5 bolts, 1 stack of 25 bolts + 3 stack of 5 bolts, or 40 "stacks" of single bolt.  Dwarf should also try to find the largest stack it can fit in its quiver first.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 07:30:24 pm »

IIRC, quivers are already supposed to work like that. However due to a bug, dwarves very, very rarely pick up more than a single stack.

Yes, I have on rare occasions seen a dwarf with more than one stack of bolts in his quiver.

Momaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 03:00:04 am »

I am not talking about the amount of bolts in the quiver. I'm sure that is already going to be worked on.  I am talking about the fact that, when I send my shooters into the field, they start walking carrying the half-depleted stack of salmon bone bolts that they were just practicing with.  Ideally when set to active duty, the dwarf should drop their bone bolts, go and get metal bolts, and then report for duty.  Metal bolts are substantially more damaging, so if you've got them, you don't want your soldiers wasting time with shooting bone.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 02:26:12 pm »

I am not talking about the amount of bolts in the quiver. I'm sure that is already going to be worked on.  I am talking about the fact that, when I send my shooters into the field, they start walking carrying the half-depleted stack of salmon bone bolts that they were just practicing with.  Ideally when set to active duty, the dwarf should drop their bone bolts, go and get metal bolts, and then report for duty.  Metal bolts are substantially more damaging, so if you've got them, you don't want your soldiers wasting time with shooting bone.

I think they do .. are supposed to anyway. It's about prioritising.

I ordered my champions into the field. They ran out, 5 legendary dwarves strong and awaited the gobbos who were laying siege ... then they flashed question marks and abandoned their post. I was like WHAT!?!? and checked them. Turns out they had forgotten to bring provitions so they went to get din-dins.
I'd prefered if they did this EARLIER but that's just the way dorfs work. Gotta tell 'em to hang around the stockpiles for a bit, let them prepare.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.