Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Self-Defense  (Read 666 times)

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Self-Defense
« on: April 13, 2009, 05:57:36 pm »

Now, I've searched as thoroughly as I could, and I haven't found this mentioned, but if it has been, just tell me, and I'll delete.

So I was amusing myself with an obsidian farm one day, testing out what happens when you put various things in before you run the lava, when I recieved a message.

Urist McWoodcutter, Woodcutter, has been struck down.

Now Urist McWoodcutter is an Expert Axedwarf, an Accomplished Armor User, an Accomplished Shield User, wears steel chainmail and carries a steel axe, so I was pretty nervous. Until I found his corpse, next to the Skeletal Hoary Marmot that had killed him.

My suggestion is: If a dwarf has military skills, even if he isn't currently in the military, he should still use them if he is under attack.

Shinsetsu777

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Self-Defense
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 06:22:44 pm »

I think they do but with a game like DF it is possible for a mouse to kill a giant, just less likely.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 06:28:04 pm »

Skeletal anythings are always dangerous, no matter the dwarf.
But yes, civilians can still fight back, but they only do so once they are attacked(and by then, they may be screwed thanks to an injury from the first attack.)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 06:49:25 pm »

Yeah, skeletal critters are occasionally scary.  And sometimes at random.  Even when small.

Sometimes unarmed civilians can bludgeon the heck out of goblins with their fists...but, well every once in a while, bad things happen to good people.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Carcer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 03:26:17 am »

The most notable instance of Dwarves defending themselves is when a goblin catches a "helpless" legendary miner.

set the meeting area on top of a retracting bridge above a huge pit. pull lever.
Entire goddamn fortress cancells task: resting injury.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 03:35:19 am »

They do defend themselves but it might take a broken leg before they decide to do it. A farmer of mine found a goblin thief, the goblin cut him in the eyes and he fell over .. the goblin took advantage of this and severed his head before making a break for it. Thankfully he took too long and was caught and horribly mauled.

So only a few days later a SECOND farmer finds a goblin thief in roughly the same area. This time the farmer jabs a spear in the goblin (all miners farmers have spears) and runs away screaming. The goblin has a copper spear stuck in his upper body and a punctured heart .. that's bad, right? Well it died and everyone rejoiced.

My guess is that the goblin struck at the second farmer but missed, the farmer defended himself and that was that .. your marmot probably bit the woodcutter in the spine or something, incapacitating him immediately.
OR the woodcutter was taking a nap on the wrong side of town, that's pretty much a death warrant for even legendary dwarves.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 04:56:42 am »

Farmers have spears?
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 09:02:59 am »

No animals to hunt so I tell everyone to hunt - farmers, planters, brewers, fishers ... everyone who has hands carry spears.

That's how I run MY fortress anyway.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 09:06:08 am »

Indeed, dwarves should be able to lay the smackdown on the rhesus macaque instead of run like it's a horseman of the Apocalypse.

They should learn Self Defense.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 01:02:33 pm »

Rangers and Hunters have the opposite problem, they charge the enemy when I want them to run away.

EDIT: Also, when you set in the options for only soldiers to go outside, this doesn't apply to green civilian dwarves!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 01:04:43 pm by ToonyMan »