Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coldness!  (Read 790 times)

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Coldness!
« on: April 11, 2009, 10:55:07 am »

I tried generating a world using a mintemp of 10 and a maxtemp of 50, hoping to create a planet-wide ice age, but it apparently violated some of the more basic requirements, because it went to over 3000 iterations without ever creating a playable world (eventually I aborted it..)   So, is there a way to weight your world parameters to favor environments where water will freeze in winter? 

Secondly, I've seen similar threads about making cold rocks (mostly on how It Doesn't Work), and was wondering, would it be possible to create a combustible stone that 'burns' at a very low temperature?  I've seen posts about how lignite in a bin will burn hot enough to vaporize water two tiles away, and I'm hoping I can make a similar setup that will freeze water instead.  (I'm at work, don't have access to the data files at the moment, and Dwarf Fortress Wiki doesn't contain the file data for stone..)

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coldness!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 10:58:59 am »

I tried generating a world using a mintemp of 10 and a maxtemp of 50, hoping to create a planet-wide ice age, but it apparently violated some of the more basic requirements, because it went to over 3000 iterations without ever creating a playable world (eventually I aborted it..)   So, is there a way to weight your world parameters to favor environments where water will freeze in winter? 

Secondly, I've seen similar threads about making cold rocks (mostly on how It Doesn't Work), and was wondering, would it be possible to create a combustible stone that 'burns' at a very low temperature?  I've seen posts about how lignite in a bin will burn hot enough to vaporize water two tiles away, and I'm hoping I can make a similar setup that will freeze water instead.  (I'm at work, don't have access to the data files at the moment, and Dwarf Fortress Wiki doesn't contain the file data for stone..)

can't answer the second question.

answer to first question:

make sure you have nulled all 'minimum X regions'. Make sure you have removed all mesh weightings for values outside of your range.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 01:35:40 am »

You probably could create a stone that 'burned' at a low enough temperature to freeze water. However, if the water is naturally unfrozen, then it will just unfreeze immediately once the stone stops burning. Also, any temperature that is cold enough to be able to effect water without being in the same tile as that water, (which in effect instantly destroys the item, with the water immediately freezing to destroy the item, then immediately unfreezing into water with the item gone) would be unable to be handled by dwarves without suffer very rapid death by cold. Maybe if you create some type of clothing with super high coverage they might survive, but otherwise they probably couldn't.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 02:01:57 am »

You probably could create a stone that 'burned' at a low enough temperature to freeze water. However, if the water is naturally unfrozen, then it will just unfreeze immediately once the stone stops burning. Also, any temperature that is cold enough to be able to effect water without being in the same tile as that water, (which in effect instantly destroys the item, with the water immediately freezing to destroy the item, then immediately unfreezing into water with the item gone) would be unable to be handled by dwarves without suffer very rapid death by cold. Maybe if you create some type of clothing with super high coverage they might survive, but otherwise they probably couldn't.
mmmm delicious dwarfsicles..    I'm Urist McMount, and I approve this carnage.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 12:01:00 am »

I probably did it wrong, but my attempt to make cold-burning stone ended up making stone that melts and evaporates as soon as I mine it out of the wall..  not *REALLY* what I was hoping for..

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 12:17:26 am »

1. Civilizations need to live in order for a world-gen to work out. Either add cold regions to their starting civ sites(Don't ask me the tags, the most I have done is put goblin towers in deserts), or make sure you generate a few plains and forests.

2. Alas, stones only show temperatures by reactions. Basically, melting and vaporizing. Dunno a way to make them emit a temperature.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 10:36:57 am »

I actually had some luck once I removed the minimum-regions stats, and managed to find a site with a lot of trees, a magma pipe, and a glacier.  (it also has a 4-layer deep aquifer, dangit...)

I'm kind of shocked by how cold "cold" is..  my mintemp is 5, maxtemp is 35, and I STILL see "temperate" regions.  I would assume with a maxtemp of 100, that "temperate" would be in the 50's.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 08:19:16 pm »

Set mintemp to -120. Remove all minimum region counts.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 10:19:29 pm »

Set mintemp to -120. Remove all minimum region counts.

if 10067 is body temperature, -120 would be somewhere below absolute zero... which would make an undersea fortress easier to build, but kind of ... anti climactic.