Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Megaproject - the most legendary dwarf ever  (Read 2682 times)

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject - the most legendary dwarf ever
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 04:35:52 pm »

For the throwing part, how would that sound:

1-Train tour dwarf to legendary engraver (or legendary anything else that can produce masterwork stuff), since you have to anyway;

2-Lock the dwarf in a room with lots of furniture;

3-Slowly destroy all masterwork production, so the dwarf is in a constant tantruming state.

Would filling the room with artifacts/nice food/nice booze/more masterwork stuff help with the dwarf not berserking/melancholy?

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 06:36:41 am »

I'd say skip throwing. It would be a nightmare of balancing a legendary dwarf's mood and nearby available furniture.

Steve McBalmer, Legendary Thrower (chosen weapon, CHAIR)

and yes, small necropost, but I wanted to see if there was status on this megaproject
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

salttotart

• Bay Watcher
  • Ackbar is always right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 09:42:52 am »

Not sure if this is still alive, but I would suggest not embarking with magma.  That way he is forced to make charcoal and beef up his Wood Burning.
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
"And thereafter, all dwarven children were taught to mind their stools, lest the toilet-fiends snatch their souls from their bottoms"
Try rubbing a cat on it, that seems to help.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 12:14:38 pm »

I've done legendary cheese making. It takes longer than most people seem willing to run their forts though (decades). Legendary hunting is possible as well, as most maps do have recurring animals to hunt. It's dangerous to do if you have gobbos ambushing, so you really need a pretty quiet map and multiple non-evil biomes.

I always have a legendary wood burner on my magma maps - you need ash for clear glass. Magma makes legendary much easier to pull off because you don't need all that wood for the metal/glass skills.

I've never gotten legendary speardwarf. That always seemed the hardest because they're too likely to die in the process. Legendary strand extractor might be impossible in almost all situations. I don't think I've ever gotten a map with anywhere near 600 adamantine.

I might give it a shot. I've gotten pretty close with a few in the past. I could probably do it on the dwarf heaven map if I modded out the gobbos.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 12:37:07 pm »

Isn't their labour screen blocked as soon as they become a hero?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 12:42:02 pm »

Ok, I've decided to give it a shot. I've made the following mods to make things easier:

1) Orc mod in, but with the orcs nerfed slightly. My concern is training spear near the end. Will also provide a suitable supply of metal to train up all the metal skills.
2) Gobbos modded out. Ambushing will make hunting very difficult. I could have found a site without gobbos, but why waste half a day genning worlds? I think the orcs will make up for the lack of gobbos, though.
3) His starting skills will be the two dissecting skills - fish and animal. I don't even know if I can catch moghoppers on this map to skill up fish dissecting... I'd start out with strand extracting, but that doesn't appear to be an option.

I'll be using the dwarf heaven map. I know it well, it has a chasm and the humans and dwarves both bring  milk for cheesemaking. It has tons of trees. It has a slow but steady flow of animals. It has HFS, though not enough, but I don't think that can be helped. Magma, sand, water for fishing. I'll keep y'all updated.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 12:54:24 pm by Martin »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 01:08:03 pm »

Isn't their labour screen blocked as soon as they become a hero?

Yes, so you need to do all the labors before drafting them.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 01:17:07 pm »

But doesn't that then prevent them from changing weapons?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 01:23:22 pm »

But doesn't that then prevent them from changing weapons?
discover the joy of the [m]ilitary screen.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 01:28:42 pm »

Oops, forgot about the w button, lol.

Which is odd, because my favourite method of finding dwarves is through the military screen.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 01:34:11 pm »

I've never gotten legendary speardwarf. That always seemed the hardest because they're too likely to die in the process. Legendary strand extractor might be impossible in almost all situations. I don't think I've ever gotten a map with anywhere near 600 adamantine.

I've actually gotten a map once with 400+ addy, and I still hadn't mined everything.
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 01:56:24 pm »

I've actually gotten a map once with 400+ addy, and I still hadn't mined everything.

I feel that this quote is missing something like "...when my fort was destroyed by goblins," or "when everybody died due to HFS complications."
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Mister Thou

• Bay Watcher
  • out of ointment and out of time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 04:09:38 pm »

I've never had problems getting legendary speardwarves. My entire Fortress and Royal Guard (minus vegetables, of course) are legendary speardwarves. Most of them I just gave steel or iron spears and armor to and told to go at it. Didn't even set them to wrestling first, and I've had not sparring accidents at all.

It's a little weird. Have I been exceptionally lucky, or has the newest version changed sparring in some way?

Jakkarra

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 04:11:18 pm »

I've actually gotten a map once with 400+ addy, nd I still hadn't mined everything.

this is you.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagnificentBastard

love, jakkarra
Pages: 1 [2]