Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tone down ratmen  (Read 1284 times)

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tone down ratmen
« on: October 01, 2006, 08:46:00 am »

In my current game, I'm getting ratmen invasions that are completely crippling my fort past the chasm. I'm facing a nearly constant rush of ratmen, 15-20 at a time, several times a month. I've had to station my entire military at the bridge over the chasm just to keep the dwarves from over-exerting themselves slaughtering ratmen. No jobs are getting done past that point because by the time someone gets past the bridge in a lull in the fighting and comes back with whatever their task was, the fighting's started again and he runs in terror from the ratmen.

I am chasming skulls and "others", but I've done that before in other forts (with different chasm residents) and not had nearly this much trouble.

Mud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tone down ratmen
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 10:25:00 am »

There's something different between your old forts where you did that and this one. Maybe it's mroe dangerous surroundings, maybe your luck's just different. In any case, stop chasming refuse and your chasm problems will cease. Dealing with hordes of batmen and ratmen is the risk you face when you chasm refuse.

ghor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 10:32:00 am »

Ratmen got mighty annoyed at me because I made an error when trying to make a magma moat. I ended up pouring magma irrevocably into the chasm.

After a while I got waves of attacks, with maybe 10-15 ratmen in each. But they stopped appearing after four or five waves. I guess they're either limited in numbers, or the fiery red death raining down on them from above had something to do with it.

So, if they don't stop coming, you know what to try...

[ October 01, 2006: Message edited by: ghor ]

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 01:28:00 pm »

The area is in exactly the same settings as usual - heavily forested, temperate, thick vegetation. Not an increased danger area. I tried halting the chasming of refuse for a full game year and nothing changed. In that year I killed over 300 ratmen. JUST in that year. I've killed something like 2,000 of them total.

[ October 01, 2006: Message edited by: Zurai ]

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 01:32:00 pm »

Did someone just say disc traps?

Nakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 02:14:00 pm »

It's a real problem though. They choke the chasm area and eventually produce neverending miasma clouds that tick everybody off. If their numbers are limited, I'd weather a year or two of ratmen slaughter to kill them off forever, but I've never seen proof of the "you can kill the chasmdwellers entirely by flooding/attrition" thing, so unless Toady confirms if I'm not about to start ticking off my neighbors. I just assume they're infinite.

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 09:05:00 pm »

I had a one-tile wide lava flow pouring into the chasm for about a year or so, and eventually the center tile of the chasm turned red. A couple seasons after that, no more monsters appeared along the chasm. Its been all quite for several years now.(Includes ratman/antman/ Giant Bats/Mole dogs/ etc.)

Of course, I used a stone floodgate with the lava flow...and now Its broken and I can't stop the flow. So its possible they are just occupied by the lava flow.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 09:47:00 pm »

quote:
If their numbers are limited, I'd weather a year or two of ratmen slaughter to kill them off forever

Absolutely. I don't want a "get out of chasm dangers free" card; I just don't want to have to deal with a "neverending supply of enemies invading several times a month" card played by the computer. I'd be fine with having to do something to keep it from happening. I'll try filling the chasm with magma (Nuke em from orbit?). If it works, that's good enough for me.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 11:42:00 pm »

I recently started flooding my chasm continuously with water.  Haven't seen a single ratman since.  I've read in a different thread that they won't attack while any kind of flooding is in progress.  So far, that's been my experience as well.

Nakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 04:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Maximus:
<STRONG>I recently started flooding my chasm continuously with water.  Haven't seen a single ratman since.  I've read in a different thread that they won't attack while any kind of flooding is in progress.  So far, that's been my experience as well.</STRONG>

I can tell you from direct experience this is not true. You're just lucky and/or have killed off a bunch of them. Dumping liquid into the chasm does not prevent incursions. Whether it kills anything, I can't say, because I don't know. But it won't stop attacks.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 05:28:00 am »

Do you mean liquid in general, or just water?  Because I do think that lava stops attacks eventually.

...although, realistically if you keep doing it you'll just be trading chasm attacks for even more dangerous lava attacks.  So maybe it's not the brightest idea in the world.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One