Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Red Glass?  (Read 716 times)

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
Red Glass?
« on: April 11, 2009, 03:52:16 pm »

I'm in the early stages of working on a major overhaul mod.  (I'm working on making a mod based on the Redwall novels.;D)
I'm trying to start with some easy stuff to get a feel for it, before I get my hands too deep into the race files, so...

I'd like to make the glass furnaces produce red glass.  However, I can't seem to find a Glass object in the raws anywhere.  Is it hiding somewhere else?  Is this even possible, since it's tied to a workshop?
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Red Glass?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 04:06:06 pm »

Unfortunately glass furnaces are hard coded to produce only green, clear and crystal glass. If you want to make red glass you will need to set up a smelter reaction where you turn clear glass (at the furnace) into red glass by adding something. The red glass however will not be /proper/ glass and will still have the properties of a stone, metal or wood (which ever you make it).

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 04:57:42 pm »

Yeah. The system for glass making will probably be changed in the future, not sure if it's in the works for the next version though.

As it stands, as AFD said, glass is one of the things that is currently hard coded. More specifically, what he was suggesting was making a Red Glass mineral, metal, or tree type depending on what properties you want. Metal can do almost anything, Stone is most furniture, and Wood is all furniture including beds exclusively. Making it a metal seems like the most sensible route, as you can define what it can be used for in the raws, but I'm not sure if you'd be able to make beds out of it even if you set it for all uses. Then you'd just have to make a smelter reaction that creates the Red Glass metal given the proper inputs.

I'm not much of a modder in that I'd probably screw the format up, but I do understand the process well enough.
!!&!!

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 11:05:36 pm »

Given that we have red, black, yellow, and white sand, I would LOVE it if they would make glass of their respective colors.. 

Black sand is (at least in the 3D world...) generally either volcanic (obsidian!) or due to iron impurities, red sand may be due to garnet, white sea sand is generally some form of calcium (coral, limestone) and white land sand is most likely gypsum.  Admittedly, your standard yellow/tan sand DOES make green glass;  I've seen some really beautiful fulgurites --"petrified lightning" -- back home in the Nebraska sandhills.

Anyway, back to my point...  Sand gets its coloration from its chemical composition, so it seems logical that the coloration would carry over to the glass:  red sand would make red glass, black sand would make black glass/obsidian, yellow sand would still make green glass, and white sand would either make clear glass, or be usable as a flux stone.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 01:10:29 am »

Can't you just rename one of the standard glass types to red glass?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 01:13:05 am »

No you can't rename it, it is hardcoded. As for the reactions, people when they make glass with reactions often make one reaction that creates a stone or metal of ____ glass and one reaction that creates a gem that is named _____ glass. That way you can make both walls and windows with the type of glass.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 06:04:46 am »

Smelters must get some serious action from hardcore modders... I'm thinking a fort with 2 each of the other big workshops, and 5 or 6 smelters.