Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Olympic Games  (Read 1935 times)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Olympic Games
« on: January 28, 2009, 01:45:33 am »

In my quest for dwarfy goodness I think it would be fun to dedicate a fort to creating dwarfy games modeled after the olympics for the military (and some citizens). These are some of the things I can think of:

A simple 100 or more square sprint: Station your most agile military at the starting line and have them sprint to a finish line. More dwarfy races could lead through megabeast-guarded bridges or away from a water/magma flood.

Marathon: Build a track that runs through the entire map and set a patrol around it for your military. They would all carry food and *ach* waterskins so they don't get sidetracked. If it's really long you could set up barracks along the way. More dwarfy marathons could wind around a chasm or through a volcano.

Archery: Setup multiple goblins on pillars or islands with a firing squad standing by. Whoever gets the most kills wins. Could be a group or one by one by counting how many shots they take to kill their targets.

A dwarfy Biathlon: Send your marksdwarfs one by one through the marathon track. Throughout the track setup goblins on pillars or islands. They must patrol through the track, stopping to kill the targets. A dwarfy clock could be created to time them, starting and stopping at the start and finish with pressure plates.

Bobsled/Skeleton: Build a long and winding waterslide with a dwarfy clock timing their runs. Citizens can compete too!

*more dangerous/cruel sports*

Fencing: Limit your competitors to clothing with no shields. Give them the best weapons you can get and let them spar (Making sure they only spar with each other. An enclosed area with a supply of food/drink and beds would do nicely). Whoever cripples the other dwarf first or gives the most injuries wins! This is perhaps more suited for dwarves you're not particularly attached to.

Wrestling/Karate/MMA/Whateverfloatsyourboat: Same as above but with wrestling.

Swimming:

Step 1: Channel a 3-z rectangular swimming pool with exits at one end
Step 2: Build lots of grates on the 2nd level
Step 2: Station your swimmers at the other end
Step 3: Rapidly pump water through the grates from underneath up to the 2nd level
Step 4:  ???
Step 5: Profit

That's all I can think of at the moment. Prizes for the winners can be gold/silver/bronze statues to put in their rooms, Military ranks, a very nice bedroom/dining hall, lavish tombs for the runner ups in fencing  ;D. The possibilities are endless.

What other olympic events could be dwarfinized?

p.s. Hi, this is my first post.

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Olympic Games
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 02:54:19 am »

Goblin High diving: Build a diving platform about twenty feet up, then lob them off it into the pool below. What the pool is filled with (Water, magma, air, blood of the thirty goblins that already jumped) is up to the maker
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 03:04:09 am »

Goblin Tossing: Unleash a goblin on a high pillar, and station a hammerman up there. After a few go's the hammerer who's goblin flew the farthest wins.

Quick edit - The sad off! You round up all the dwarves closest relitives, pets, ect, then kill them all in a room with the dwarf watching. Who ever stays sane the longest wins.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 08:50:41 am »

Champions maze,

Set up a maze with all the trimmings, pressure plates to trigger doors/hatches/water/magma/traps/ect... at one end are your starving and dehydrated dwarves, at the other end is a legendary dinning room with master crafted food and drink, as well as a royal suit all for the winner.  Your dwarves must navigate their way thru the deadly maze, the one that survives gets to dine in a legendary dinning room and sleep in a royal suit. The loosers...well... noone cares about them anyways.

For added fun if the winner sufficently impresses you, you can use him/her to repopulate the fort with any migrants who are (un?)fortunate enough to survive the maze too.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 03:30:33 pm »

Goblin Tossing: Unleash a goblin on a high pillar, and station a hammerman up there. After a few go's the hammerer who's goblin flew the farthest wins.

That would be so deviously fun. I love it.

Thinking more about this, I could build a megaproject olympic stadium with the racing tracks circling it and other events constructed in the center. My citizens could then sit back and enjoy the events from the bleachers  :). The games would happen every 4 years complete with opening and closing ceremonies.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 04:40:33 pm »

complete with opening [...] ceremonies.
Light a dwarf on fire and get him to run into a small booze stockpile?

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 05:01:22 pm »

My latest fort was built underneath a Behemoth's cave(Legendary Lands mod). Whatever immigrant can make it past the Behemoth can stay. So I guess that's like winning.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 08:36:35 pm »

I love the marathon idea. I think I'll do something like it.

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 01:17:53 am »

Should also have all the various martial fighting styles. Equip military dwarves with masterwork adamantine weapons and no armor. Spar until blood is drawn.

As for more dwarven sports, should consider mine digging competition, engrave offs, and beer chugging!
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 02:17:31 am »

The Timed Death Tower of Pain, you set up a tall tower within a deep pit with many trap features, but it is required to have the flooding mechanisms ( starts the flooding the floor it is on ) so that only the smartest will live, and the rest will drown.

The object of the game is to survive, and escape through the top of the tower.
[Hostile] Contestants will encounter many obstacles that will either kill them, or incapacitate them enough for them to drown.
Whenever one person/thing makes it one level closer to the top, that very same level starts flooding.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 08:18:57 am »

Dwarf Skeet: unleash several flying monsters, and have your Markdwarfs shoot them down. who ever has the most kills win.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time