Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improved health care  (Read 1005 times)

Echo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Improved health care
« on: September 30, 2006, 11:18:00 am »

I've searched the REQ list and the suggestions area and don't really see anyone mentioning this...

As it stands, Health Care seems to mainly consist of bringing food and water to a bedridden fellow dwarf.  That dwarf doesn't seem to heal at all (or so slowly that it seems that way).  I'd like to see implementation of items that would improve health care and recovery.  From the clothier or the loom you could see bandages for wounds, slings or (combined with wood) splints for broken bones, etc.  Combine it with certain plants at the Alchemist and you could have a poultice.  These items could be picked up by the "attending physician" and applied in order to more quickly recover (partial or full) function for a damaged limb or other injury.

While injuries would recover more quickly this way, it would be reasonable to see a reduction in the strength/toughness/agility of the injured dwarf after recovery is complete, corresponding to how serious the injury was...

SquidDNA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Improved health care
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 10:33:00 am »

I heartily agree. Every time I have a critically injured trapper I bemoan the fact that there's no real way to treat his or her wounds. Something as simple as a magic healing potion (fixes yea much damage on random damaged body part) would be greatly appreciated, although splints, casts, poultices, bandages (perhaps even tools like crutches) would be awesome.
Relicnews Forums Fleet Biologist

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 09:17:00 pm »

It would be nice if we could trade for magic healing water from the elves, even if it cost an arm and a leg (well, a stone arm and a stone leg, these being elves.)  But magic is slated for a future req, a ways down the road.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

ShaneC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 05:39:00 pm »

I don't see why the dwarves wouldn't have their own version of a doctor.  Of course that leads to the whole herb harvesting for medical usage.. and probably a few dozen other things.

We need to clone Toady.. that is the ONLY solution..

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 02:13:00 am »

I was thinking about this myself - there should be a medic skill of some sort which is tied to health care.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 01:11:00 pm »

well, i've made golden salve before (processing valley herbs into vials?).. no clue what it does.. i'm actually hoping it might be medicine