Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksmen and ammo piles  (Read 930 times)

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksmen and ammo piles
« on: April 11, 2009, 05:48:55 pm »

I have my barracks, and nearby archery targets for my marksmen to practice on. I have an ammo pile right next to the targets, that feeds from a central pile near my workshops. I've noticed that more often than not, my marksmen will prefer to walk over to the distant pile and get ammo from there, as opposed to the one right next to them. Sometimes they will start walking towards that far away ammo supply, then get a red ? mark over them and turn around to use the nearby pile.
    It's getting kinda annoying, and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make them use more accessible piles first. I have plans for faraway tower outposts that involve ammo piles keeping them supplied far from the main fort, but that won't work if they insist on trudging all the way back.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Marksmen and ammo piles
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 07:29:48 pm »

Forbid your dwarfs from putting wood and bone bolts in the main pile. Now they will only put those in the piles close to the targets.

There will be some extra hauling, though .. also there's the off chance that you'll get shiny new iron bolts and they plunk those down in the archery target pile and fill it ... effectively blocking ALL piles from storing bolts so your marksdwarves will run back and forth to the craftdwarves shop.

So just forbid anything but wood and bone in the closest pile. That oughta do it.

Edit: i just remembered you'll still have SOME bolts lying in the craftsdwarf shop... your retarded dwarves will probably go fetch those just to annoy you.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 07:32:01 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.