Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant Skeletal Eagle  (Read 974 times)

Lucifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giant Skeletal Eagle
« on: April 10, 2009, 08:50:06 am »

Now I've always heard that something with the word 'Skeletal' in it is bad. Also that a Giant Eagle is bad, so the combination must be horror. At first I freaked when I saw a Giant Skeletal Eagle on the list, even more when it attacked my 7 starting dwarfs afther 1 minute... Then I laughed as 3 dogs ripped out a leg, and a wing, while hurting its spine. 2 of them died before my newly recruited army charged in.. A miner lost everything but his spine, his eyes and his torso... Yet the eagle is dead. At the cost of 1 dwarf and 2 dogs... This isn't hard at all.
Urist McDwarf: Our magma pressure will blot out the sun!

Pansy Elf: Then we shall hug in the sha- BLLLLLLLARGH!!! MY ARMS!! MY ARMS!! THEY'RE MEEELTING!!!

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Skeletal Eagle
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 09:15:19 am »

Quote from: Dwarf Fortress Wiki
Should your dwarves be unfortunate enough to encounter a skeletal giant eagle, abandon your fortress and start a new one far, far away. To witness its cruel devastation may scar you for life.

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Giant_eagle

Yes.  They can be mean.  I remember having one descend upon my wagon and tear literally everyone but the miner into dripping ribbons.  The miner blissfully hollowed out the countryside.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 05:01:01 pm »

The only loss of a fortress that I've ever suffered was because of skeletal giant eagles. I embarked with a proficient axedwarf, and within minutes a SGE showed up. The axedwarf defeated it without any problems. A couple more showed up, and he killed them just as easily. The next one, however, was a different story. It absolutely annihilated my axedwarf, and began attacking the rest of the party. I recruited everyone, but the eagle wrecked them all, even entering my tunnels in pursuit of the dwarves. All died, except one who lay wounded. I kept hoping that he would recover before he died of thirst, and while he was still alive, migrants arrived! The eagle promptly killed all the migrants. The injured dwarf died of thirst. The end.

I don't know what made this particular eagle so badass... I'm guessing it just got lucky during its encounter with my axedwarf, and wrestling civilians wasn't much of a threat.

Lucifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 05:08:47 pm »

The only loss of a fortress that I've ever suffered was because of skeletal giant eagles. I embarked with a proficient axedwarf, and within minutes a SGE showed up. The axedwarf defeated it without any problems. A couple more showed up, and he killed them just as easily. The next one, however, was a different story. It absolutely annihilated my axedwarf, and began attacking the rest of the party. I recruited everyone, but the eagle wrecked them all, even entering my tunnels in pursuit of the dwarves. All died, except one who lay wounded. I kept hoping that he would recover before he died of thirst, and while he was still alive, migrants arrived! The eagle promptly killed all the migrants. The injured dwarf died of thirst. The end.

I don't know what made this particular eagle so badass... I'm guessing it just got lucky during its encounter with my axedwarf, and wrestling civilians wasn't much of a threat.

Wow, nice story, I'll remind that
Urist McDwarf: Our magma pressure will blot out the sun!

Pansy Elf: Then we shall hug in the sha- BLLLLLLLARGH!!! MY ARMS!! MY ARMS!! THEY'RE MEEELTING!!!

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 06:27:58 pm »

A miner lost everything but his spine, his eyes and his torso...

lol wat? screenshot maybe?

XMotorX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 11:45:02 pm »

I had my first encounters with SGE with my latest fort.  I think SGEs are most dangerous to a newly started outpost.   Once I got a military up and going, they've been more of a nuisance as my marksdwarves can bring them down in a hail of bolts without much trouble.  Even my "regular" dwarves (most all have some military training) can chase them off. 

Of course, various pets (2 dogs and 1 cat), 2 wardogs and one tame black bear have been killed by SGEs and 2 idiot children who kept wandering far from the fort got their heads pecked off.

I watched as one child was chased across most of the map then finally corned by a SGE.  Something came up at the main fort so I left him to his fate -- expecting to see his death txt any second.  A few minutes later he came running thru the main gate without a scratch on him.  Maybe even SGEs go "On break"??