Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some clue on the initial map selection  (Read 807 times)

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
Some clue on the initial map selection
« on: September 29, 2006, 09:08:00 pm »

Before embarking, when you select the location on the map that you'll embark to, there should be some clue as to what spots you've checked already, and how to get back to a spot you've previously seen.

For example, either:

(1) A small (condensed) world map, showing the location of the current screen within the world as a whole; or

(2) The ability to just go "backwards" and "forwards" through all the possible zones, in an order which remains consistent.

The current way is thoroughly confusing.  It's difficult to tell when you've seen all of the zones, and it's difficult to find a zone that you've seen in the past.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some clue on the initial map selection
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 11:12:00 pm »

the +/- key's work for cycling through sites for me, and they follow a consistant (as far as i've observed.) pattern. i found it rather frustrating to deal with getting back to sites i wanted to try until i found that worked.

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 11:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Silleh Boy:
<STRONG>the +/- key's work for cycling through sites for me, and they follow a consistant (as far as i've observed.) pattern. i found it rather frustrating to deal with getting back to sites i wanted to try until i found that worked.</STRONG>

Excellent, I'll try that.  Thanks.

I had been using the arrow keys, which seem to give somewhat random results (e.g. hitting "left" then "right" does not necessarily bring you back to where you were).

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 02:25:00 am »

quote:
the +/- key's work for cycling through sites for me, and they follow a consistant (as far as i've observed.) pattern.

It would be very hard, if possible, to prove that there is any pattern involved. Its still very random.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 03:55:00 pm »

Using the arrows doesn't send you to a random location.  It sends you to the nearest location in the direction you pressed.  If you then choose to go to the previous location and there is another location closer than the previous location in that direction then it will go to the closest one instead.  It's a bit disorienting (and hard for me to explain), but it's handy when you want to find a location in a certain weather area quickly.

[ October 01, 2006: Message edited by: Pacho ]