Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Use for vials and glass buckets  (Read 1420 times)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Use for vials and glass buckets
« on: April 10, 2009, 04:55:12 pm »

New command: collect liquid, the dwarves will collect it in a bucket and dump it in a barrel in a liquid stockpile or if none are available just place the bucket there.

Also glass and metal buckets: for collecting acid and magma.

Oh and in the alchemist's a new job: fill vial, it will fill the vial with selected liquid and place a cork or glass lid (for acids) as appropriate, this vial can then be used by soldiers as a thrown weapon that shatters on impact. Maybe another job: make grenade? Same as fill vial but contains 2 liquids which mix on impact, good for explosions or some sort of foam or gas reaction to obscure sight.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Use for vials and glass buckets
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 05:18:45 pm »

... so... what is it you want to do anyway?

Stockpile water for winter is that it?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 06:32:13 pm »

Stockpiling water would be very helpful in general, and will probably be necessary once water becomes an actual necessity, so that it can be transported by the caravans to maps that have no water at all.

The stuff dealing with acids and explosives as weapons are a different matter, which has been discussed to death already for the most part. I don't think I've seen anyone suggest that magma should be transportable in metal buckets, though. The problem there is that magma disappears not by evaporation, but by cooling; you can store water more or less indefinitely so long as it's sealed, but you can't do the same with magma because it'll rapidly cool off.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 06:37:50 pm »

Stockpiling water would be very helpful in general, and will probably be necessary once water becomes an actual necessity, so that it can be transported by the caravans to maps that have no water at all.

The stuff dealing with acids and explosives as weapons are a different matter, which has been discussed to death already for the most part. I don't think I've seen anyone suggest that magma should be transportable in metal buckets, though. The problem there is that magma disappears not by evaporation, but by cooling; you can store water more or less indefinitely so long as it's sealed, but you can't do the same with magma because it'll rapidly cool off.

Or just burn whomever tries to haul it in first place  ;D

But yes, I do believes that eventually water will be barrelable, since people does fortresses where there're no easily avaliable water source ( or just no water, at all ) And would be useful for when the outside water freezes anyway.

Any liquid that's stable at room temperature should be transportable, but magma? forget it, unless there're a way to build something that won't burn everyone that tries to grab it  ;D

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 12:54:01 am »

You can designate pools to be filled somewhere under the "i" area designations. Must be designated at the floor level at the very top edge of the pool.

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 03:24:10 am »

Dwarves should be able to collect 'ice' stones with barrels buckets and let them melt inside. Seems practical for fortresses with no real water, and also realistic.
This is -ing good wood!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 03:05:31 pm »

You can designate pools to be filled somewhere under the "i" area designations. Must be designated at the floor level at the very top edge of the pool.

Are you perhaps referring to a pond?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 03:20:53 pm »

With the 'grenade' suggestion I was thinking it shold be implemented around the same time as liquids go into RAWs and it just makes the reaction between the liquids not happen until it breaks. I had this really cool idea for a mod where you have these alien things that multiply when they die unless in magma, so you must encase them in foam by pouring 2 liquids into a 'grenade' that when mix form a solid coating which can cover a 1-tile radius.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 04:08:21 am »

Glass buckets, or at least ones with a glass bottom, are used to look into moving water more clearly. Maybe fishermen could use it.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.