Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rest in Peace, Dave Arneson  (Read 3877 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rest in Peace, Dave Arneson
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 11:04:08 pm »

posted in the other thread over at general discussion

www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#extremelyTightSpace

DC 80: Extremely tight space
This is the DC for getting through a space when one’s head shouldn’t even be able to fit; this can be as small as 2 inches square for Medium-size creatures. Halve this limit for each size category less than Medium-size; double it for each size category greater than Medium-size. If the space is long, such as in a chimney, multiple checks may be called for.

23 skill ranks
+13 Dexterity (36 dexterity: 18 base, +2 halfling, +5 stat boosts, +5 stat tomes, +5 gloves of dexterity)
+23 item familiar (69 skill ranks placed into item familiar)
+30 custom ring
+2 Llira's Blessing (Player's Guide to Faerun, page 176)
+2 Agile
+3 Skill Focus (escape artist)
-----
Total = +96 Escape Artist bonus (with Take 10 assuming you have levels in Exemplar)

if done right, you can climb into an enemies anus and get your entire body inside him in only a few combat rounds

either the best rule ever, or the worst
you decide
You sir, are quite twisted.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 11:06:40 pm »

Akroma isn't a sir.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 12:45:11 am »

Yeah he is. Also: RIP Dave..
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 03:07:20 am »

there is no place for logic in DnD, only cold-hearthed powergaming
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 09:18:06 am »

Imo all RPGs & MMORPGs are enforcing powergaming...at least if you want to have a strong & successful character. Basically almost everyone wants to have one, correct?  ;)

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 09:33:40 am »

Imo all RPGs & MMORPGs are enforcing powergaming...at least if you want to have a strong & successful character. Basically almost everyone wants to have one, correct?  ;)

Many indie rpgs are focussed around roleplay rather than combat, and often have simpler rules that aren't as prone to exploitation. It's virtually impossible to powergame in these.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 02:22:53 pm »

i completed fallout 3 on hard with a subpar character in a "grimy pre-war business suit", because I wanted to play that way, and I'm sure it was more fun than with a proper character in armor.

I mean, games are supposed to make you enjoy yourself, and all the weird kinks you got going on in your head.

so why powergame, unless that kink is minmaxing  ;D

What that has to do with farewell greetings, I dont know. But seriously.... do you think there are many icasoedrae (?) at his burial site already?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 02:24:36 pm by Puck »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 01:25:09 am »

posted in the other thread over at general discussion

www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#extremelyTightSpace

DC 80: Extremely tight space
This is the DC for getting through a space when one’s head shouldn’t even be able to fit; this can be as small as 2 inches square for Medium-size creatures. Halve this limit for each size category less than Medium-size; double it for each size category greater than Medium-size. If the space is long, such as in a chimney, multiple checks may be called for.
[snip]
either the best rule ever, or the worst
you decide

Meh.  Not at good as Chuck E. Cheese....who could run faster than the speed of light (and do over a trillion damage at the same time).  Errata, however, came along and added some G force to it (actually it errata'd a spell Chuck had been abusing such that it didn't work as needed).

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 08:52:50 am »

Many indie rpgs are focussed around roleplay rather than combat, and often have simpler rules that aren't as prone to exploitation. It's virtually impossible to powergame in these.

Care to post some examples?

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009, 08:58:13 am »

Care to post some examples?

Sorceror, dogs in the vineyard, in a wicked age, burning wheel (to an extent) off the top of my head.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2009, 09:32:02 am »

Hm...I never heard about those to be honest, but again I mostly play with roguelikes. [Needless to say, powergaming is enforced in those also.  ;)]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 11:42:32 pm »

Sorceror, dogs in the vineyard, in a wicked age, burning wheel (to an extent) off the top of my head.

Dogs in the Vineyard is easy to powergame: there's no rule that says all of your stuff can't be Exceptional.

Cles

• Bay Watcher
  • I need some Cave Spider silk parachutes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 11:10:58 am »

Sorcerer is easy to powergame in. If you GM hasn't read the rules...

otherwise, enjoy your ability to run through walls Juggernaut-style, because in a few hours your demons will be feasting on your min/maxed ass and each other.
Pages: 1 [2]