Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Cunning Plan  (Read 1025 times)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
A Cunning Plan
« on: April 10, 2009, 08:41:42 am »

"Ahh yes," thought Bowleggs Blackadder. "Things are going well."

Several days earlier they had struck the earth at a promising spot, and already the fortress was beginning to take shape.

Particularly fortuitous was a small valley, which would be easily fortifiable with a little earth-work, and provide an excellent space for above ground farming.

Blackadder was inspecting the newly constructed booze still, with a gleam in his eye, when one particularly gormless moron approached.

"Milord.. milord..." said Urist McBaldric.

"What is it?" Replied Blackadder.

"I have a cunning plan!"

"Oh here we go."

"No, no, this is a _really_ cunning plan milord."

"Well, out with it."

"Did you notice that our construction is butting up against a gorge with a river at the bottom? Well, we could make a bridge across that into our main base. Any time a raid happens, well, we just raise up the bridge, and no problem."

"McBaldric, I think you have forgotten one small thing. That river is swarming with bloodthirsty carp, which would eat anybody who got close to it."

"Ahh yes. Not to worry milord, I've thought of that. The surface of the river is a good twelve feet below where we would cast the bridge. I don't think carp can jump _that_ high! And also, suppose we let some gobbos or trolls come knocking on our gate at the end of the bridge. We could retract it and let them drop down into the evil swimmy things!"

"Hmmm.. Actually.... thats not a bad idea! Very well. Build this bridge!"

I'm thinking you guys can guess what happened next.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: A Cunning Plan
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 08:55:35 am »

You fell in?

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 08:58:00 am »

Carp happened. They can jump a whole zlevel... >:(
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 09:34:58 am »

That is why the Dwarven Safety Commission requires all bridges over running water to be built at least 2 z-levels(often estimated at 20 feet) above the surface.

Do you think the DSC makes up these rules for no reason?  ...I mean sure, the reason behind the no building walls over constructed floors rule is still being debated. But still...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 12:42:47 pm »

WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 12:56:34 pm »

Urist Bridgebuilder cnacels build: interrupted by carp

dwarves can see in all directions, the carp being far below them does not mean they don't see them and get freaked out
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 01:39:47 pm »

That is why the Dwarven Safety Commission requires all bridges over running water to be built at least 2 z-levels(often estimated at 20 feet) above the surface.

Do you think the DSC makes up these rules for no reason?

It's like they always told us in the Air Force: every rule, no matter how stupid it sounds, is there because some stupid son-of-a-Urist didn't know better.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.