Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Major Rivers  (Read 1184 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Major Rivers
« on: April 08, 2009, 03:56:29 am »

I've been trying to generate a world with specific features (magma pipe, to be precise), next to a major river.  I can generate worlds with loads of magma, so that's not really an issue, but I'm not sure which parameters attribute to the existence of major rivers.  What parameters (if any) can I change to influence the generation of major rivers?

Thanks!
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Major Rivers
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 06:22:35 am »

I made an effectivly jungle planet by putting rain in min 95 masx 100...

Think this made more rivers... not sure tho XD, sure made more mud and trees.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 07:04:13 am »

Minimum River Start Locations (Pre-Erosion) and Desired River Start Locations (Post-Erosion). That should affect how many brooks/streams start in the mountains, and it's pot luck as to how many rivers you get out of it (could be that every single stream feeds into one single major river). Just play around with it. With high volcanism it's a piece of cake finding a magma pipe and major river together in even a 2x2 area somewhere in the world.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:48:48 am »

It might also help to not have any oceans for the rivers to drain into.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:50:53 am »

I wish I had the seed still, but I once had a site that was at the intersection of 2 major rivers... each one was atleast 30 tiles wide, and there was a natural waterfall. My fortress was on a cliff 5-6 z-levels above where the cliffs met. Unfortunately the area was populated by 7 pages of hippos, a couple pages of carp and tigerfish.

I had 40 fps on embark, I've never had to abandon due to fps so quickly before. There was also a huge amount of trees.  I ended up digging a long tunnel between the map edge and my trade depot, to avoid hippos and cut down on tree issues.  It was an awesome site, I wish I could regenerate it.  5 minutes after embarking, the brook that lead to the waterfall was almost completely red... I've never seen so much blood on my screen, nothing showed up as dead though. It was pretty freaky.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 08:52:15 am »

Carp-period

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 10:11:17 am »

I wish I had the seed still, but I once had a site that was at the intersection of 2 major rivers... each one was atleast 30 tiles wide, and there was a natural waterfall. My fortress was on a cliff 5-6 z-levels above where the cliffs met. Unfortunately the area was populated by 7 pages of hippos, a couple pages of carp and tigerfish.

I had 40 fps on embark, I've never had to abandon due to fps so quickly before. There was also a huge amount of trees.  I ended up digging a long tunnel between the map edge and my trade depot, to avoid hippos and cut down on tree issues.  It was an awesome site, I wish I could regenerate it.  5 minutes after embarking, the brook that lead to the waterfall was almost completely red... I've never seen so much blood on my screen, nothing showed up as dead though. It was pretty freaky.
Oh God, hippos...play for a year or so and those seven pages will turn into twenty :P It's a pain in the ass getting announcement spam about another hippo calf being born.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.