Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 8-suit Deck - Now with a NEW CARD GAME!  (Read 10001 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
8-suit Deck - Now with a NEW CARD GAME!
« on: March 30, 2009, 05:17:40 pm »

I want to make some sets of cards with eight suits instead of four. What should they be?
They need to be recognizable silhouettes, able to be made small and large, with no line elements, only shapes. In other words, they have to fit with the old suits. I've got two ideas I'm looking at:

Four new suits:
-Hourglass (Black)
-Coin (Red)
-Moon (Black)
-Rose (Red)

The Rose and Moon have been used in 8-suit decks before, and the Coin is from tarot. The hourglass is a new, but is very clear and recognisable, and can be rendered as two facing half-circles stacked vertically. It has that same symbolic feel as the rest of the items.

My other idea:
Inverted Colors. Create red spades and black hearts- here's what I'm thinking of:

Spade
Sword
Cup
Heart
Club
Staff
Star
Diamond

These are all based on the original tarot cards and the names seem to match the color; a blood-red sword, a black-on white rendition of a star.

In a similar vein, my deck would run in each suit; Ace, 2-15, Page, Jack, Bishop, Queen, King
With 20 cards in each of 8 suits, there would be 160 cards total, plenty for large games and in particular, Cripple Mr. Onion or the variant I'm playing, Maim Mr. Potato.

Also, a DF-themed set would be neat...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 12:33:44 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 8-suit Deck
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 06:39:01 pm »

how come the deck contains 160 cards instead of 104? I'd think that doubling the number of suits would double the number of cards, which is 52.

FoboslC

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 06:42:48 pm »

That is true.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 06:49:30 pm »

There's two more face cards and 5 more number cards.

Lesse... DF themed...

Picks (black)
Gems (red)
Stones (black)
Blood (guess)

Blood, naturally is the trump suit- and the king of blood is the Armok Card.
Cards are all "face" cards;
The Lesser suits:
1  - Peasant
2  - Farmer
3  - Brewer
4  - Mason
5  - Smelter
6  - Smith
7  - Legendary
The Noble Suits:
8  - Mayor
9  - Hammerer
10- Duke's Consort
11- Duke
12- Philosopher
13- Queen
14- King

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 08:42:01 pm »

Armok would be the ace of blood, not the king of blood.  Just more symbolic and drawing from tradition and all. What with congress (ace of spades)
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 08:53:41 pm »

Couldn't Armok be a Joker like card?  Being a god of possession and madness as well as bloodshed, he could be expected to be played any way he feels like.  Different circles would come up with goof-ball rituals they have to perform whenever it's played.

Besides, if you make Armok the king of one suit, you'd be obligated to make kings for other suits, or explain why there aren't any.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 04:30:19 am »

But jokers are rarely used...

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 07:16:52 am »

Have you used Armok in DF?

Armok should just watch over most games anyway.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 03:16:46 pm »

You could always steal some from Double Fanucci...

Though I think the traditional ideas are very great in themselves.  Very fond of doubling the standard four symbols so there's two colors for each.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 06:44:30 pm »

Fun, Tarot cards were originally just the equivalent of modern playing cards. Steal stuff from them.
!!&!!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 8-suit Deck - Now with a Game!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 07:03:19 pm »

Hey, here's a game I've been working on. It's based on Cripple Mr. Onion, but much simpler. I've given it a DF-themed name.

UPDATED THE RULES

Bloody Murder
    A betting game for 2-8 players.

Bloody Murder is traditionally played with an 8-suit, 20-rank deck, a refrence to its history, but may be played with one or two standard decks.

Bloody Murder is best played with 8 suit decks. The extra suits are swords (red spades), cups (black hearts), wands (red clubs), and coins (black diamonds), named after the tarot versions of each suit. In order, the cards run; Spades, Swords, Cups, Hearts, Clubs, Wands, Coins, and Diamonds. These decks also have 20 ranks, as follows; Ace, 2-15, Page, Jack, Bishop, Queen, King. Taken together, this gives a 160 card deck. Of course, two standard decks or, for small games, merely one standard deck can be used.

Playing the game

Players sit in a circle and someone is selected to be the dealer. Play proceeds thusly:

-All players Pay. Unlike other gambling games, All Payments are the same for each player and continuous thrugh the hand. Payments go to the Pot.
    -Each player is dealt cards equal to 4x the number of players in the game- two players each recieve 8 cards, 4 players each recieve 16 cards.
    -Each player may discard up to half of their cards and have them replaced. If the deck runs out, discards will be shuffled and used as the deck; otherwise they are removed from play until the next round.
    -Starting on the dealer's left, continuing clockwise, each player may either Pay or fold. The dealer is last.
    -Starting on the dealer's left, each player may display a set of cards, or fold. A set is any number of cards from 1-5, and is graded as a poker hand. I.E.; a 3 of swords counts as a high card 3. Each player must display a better set than the previous player.
    -If there are remaining players, they must Pay or fold again, and then repeat the "display" cycle.
    -When one player is left, they have won the hand and the pot.
    -Dealership moves one position to the right. In some games, the payment increases by $1 or a similar amount for the next hand.

Variants:

Some face cards can have special effects when played. Some are played alone, some are played as part of a set, and some are played before a set is displayed. One may choose to play such a card normally instead of using it's ability. These cards are:
    Ace of Spades - Champion: Played alone; You may display this card instead of folding or showing a set. (Art: the trademark card)
    King of Swords - Death: Played before; "Kills" the last displayed set. Your set must be better than the set before that. (Art: wields a red-stained sword, unlike other kings.)
    Page of Cups - The Squire: Played before a set; you may return a face card from your set to your hand. (Art: Holds sword in sheath.)
    Queen of Hearts - The Lady: Played as part of a set; played as a wild card of any suit and value. (Art: Holds a Die or a hand of cards.)
    Jack of Clubs - The Hammer-Man: Played before a set; Queens, Bishops and Jacks may be played as Kings(Art: Wields a hammer, unlike standard set.)
    Queen of Wands - The Crone: Played before a set; "transforms" a face card from the previous set into a 2 of the same suit; this set must beat new value.(Art:A hag.)
    Bishop of Coins - The Merchant: Played alone; remaining players split pot.(Art: Surrounded by coins.)
    King of Diamonds - The Gemcutter: Played as part of a set; Diamonds in this set trump Spades. (Art: examines Diamond mark on card.)
    Naturally, there are four fools or jokers to go with the expanded deck; they are:
    Fool of Law: (Swords and Spades) Played before a set: Swords and Spades are considered the same suit. May instead be played as a wild number card of either suit.
    Fool of Saints: (Hearts and Cups) Played before a set: Hearts and Cups are considered the same suit. May instead be played as a wild number card of either suit.
    Fool of Trades: (Coins and Diamonds) Played before a set: Coins and Diamonds are considered the same suit. May instead be played as a wild number card of either suit.
    Fool of Mages: (Clubs and Wands) Played before a set: Clubs and Wands are considered the same suit. May instead be played as a wild number card of either suit.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 12:46:46 pm by PTTG?? »

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: 8-suit Deck - Now with a NEW CARD GAME!
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 06:44:48 pm »

I like it!
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 05:57:10 pm »

Is Fool of Law an intentional pun on Rule of Law?

If so then you should be banhammered.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 10:36:54 pm »

Is Fool of Law an intentional pun on Rule of Law?

If so then you should be banhammered.

I'm not that horrible.

Also, I'm still trying to balance those face cards and stuff.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 02:56:38 pm »

Reading this, I think the extra suits should be Swords wands cups and coins.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.