Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scrolling bar on the right  (Read 1117 times)

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
Scrolling bar on the right
« on: June 19, 2007, 11:18:00 pm »

Heyas,

There's been a lot of great suggestions about list scrolling (particularly with paging up and down). Unless this method is going through some dramatic changes, I would love to see a scrolling bar on the right of these lists like what is seen in the ? Help menu articles. I like these bars because they are proportionally sized according to how big the currently seen list of items are compared to the entire list (giving you a rough estimate as to number of such items), and it also helps you to jump quickly to areas in the list (top, bottom, 2/5 through, etc) without the accidental chance of scrolling in a loopwise fashion a few times before you realise.

Ta.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
Re: Scrolling bar on the right
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 03:36:00 am »

I can't say that scrollbar would always be of much use. I think its more important to reduce the number of items on the list / the effort involved in selecting items.

E.g. "Pick nearest granite stone" to build a bridge with, rather then selecting a specific item.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 04:02:00 am »

I hear what you're saying that if the lists get condensed/categorised in some way, such a scroll bar would go to waste. I agree.

I disagree that construction should just pick the nearest component and use it. Sometimes I just wish I could pick that damn piece of obsidian sitting in one of my channels, or that block of stone left on that ledge the last time I cancelled construction of that bridge because of some pathing issue. Actually, what would be great is if the screen centred on each piece you currently had selected on the right. Without abovesaid list condensing, this would be unused in later areas of the game due to the abundance of materials, but early in the game OR when you can look at sorted lists this wouldn't be so bad.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 08:49:00 am »

^ I did post an idea like that someplace else....

I think the game should provide the option to do very specific commands, like:
"move object from ::move tile cursor:: -this- tile, ::select item from tile:: to ::move tile cursor:: -that- tile"
or
"build room using ::move tile cursor:: -this- tile ::select item from tile::.

[ June 20, 2007: Message edited by: Markavian ]

falk3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 01:21:57 pm »

I would love to see some vertical scroll-bar action; even if it is not directly "useable" via mouse clicks.

Given, when the list is only 5~25 items long the scroll bar is not necessary; but when I'm selecting items to trade (hundreds of stone crafts), it'd be nice to know approximately how far through the list I am.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 02:12:45 pm »

Why not just have it listed like:

Stone Floor   00/100

Use nearest building material
Use nearest stone
Use nearest wood
Use nearest metal
Stone
Wood
Metal
Other
Pick specific material

Selecting Stone would give you a list similar to the ones it currently uses, but only showing stones and stone blocks. Ditto for wood and metal, other would include things like ash and soap. Pick specific material lets you do what Markavian suggested.

And on top of that, add a scroll bar.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 02:15:11 pm »

I can get behind that.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 03:44:19 am »

Agree but make it

Use nearest building material
Use nearest stone
Use nearest wood
Use nearest metal
Choose Stone type