Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Enchanced door orders  (Read 1917 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Enchanced door orders
« on: January 25, 2009, 07:33:13 am »

Most other tasks have to be carried out by dwarfs, but locking and unlocking doors is magically done automatically when you order it. While practical it feels like it goes against the spirit of the game. While fixing that, further enhancements could be done to the doors as well, namely:

Defining the "inside" of the door. A simple choice of west over east, or north over south depending on the orientation of the door. The inside of the door becomes important for later features.

Defining who may or may not pass, and who may or may not open the door. Two selections here: {everyone may pass, military may pass, none may pass} and {everyone may open, military may open, none may open}.

That way you could set it up so that, for example, anyone may pass the door, but only the military may open it.
If a civilian wants to come through, they will generate an "open door" job for the nearest available military unit to pick up. The military unit will come open the door and the civilian goes through.

Also, if anyone may come through and anyone may open it, a civilian coming from the outside (see below) would need to signal someone on the inside, generating an "open door" job for the nearest available dwarf to pick up.

More locking options. Instead of just "lock" vs. "unlock" there would be options like "bolt" (a simple deadbolt applied from the outside that would make the door resist picking attempts) and "bar" (a heavy bar which takes some time to apply and remove, and which makes the door resist being knocked down).

Obviously a deadbolt or a bar would only be operable from one side, this side being the "inside" defined earlier.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Mikko

Re: Enchanced door orders
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 08:13:12 am »

Defining who may or may not pass

I SHALL NOT PASS???

Okay, to be serious, this suggestion is one of the best ones lately!
Btw. Doorguards. NAO
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 08:15:48 am by Mikko »

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 08:47:06 am »

a civilian coming from the outside (see below) would need to signal someone on the inside, generating an "open door" job for the nearest available dwarf to pick up.

What about hooking up a lever through a mechanism to the new item "bell"? :p We could call it a... hmmm... "door bell"?
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 11:53:57 am »

What about doors placed on the diagonal?

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 12:18:29 pm »

I say when you define in and out, just select the adjacent squares that are 'in', and you can set Gate Guardians to patrol anywhere around the door.

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 01:53:56 pm »

I say when you define in and out, just select the adjacent squares that are 'in', and you can set Gate Guardians to patrol anywhere around the door.
or perhaps, maybe set a door as "Guard" mode, so that the fortress guard comes patrols from door to door that you assign. then the fortress guard might actually do something for once

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 10:38:30 am »

I tried searching for this but I didn't seem to locate the same idea.

I wonder if there'd be a lot of use for being able to connect doors (as levers in themselves) to other objects? That way you could have dwarf-power generated spike traps and atom smashers and farm irrigators. You could also make it dependent on whether a dwarf opened it or a pet did (and if Toady were to be so generous, all the weight variables given to pressure plates could be applied to doors).

On another note, even having doors be connected to gear assemblies with a mechanism so that the force of the dwarf pushing the door open generates a small amount of power. With this you could maybe power a screwpump with a door leading to the well to pump a very small amount of liquid into your water reservoir and always have it topped up, or have a screw pump flush some dumped debris down the chasm. All without needing to set up a separate pressure plate (which is only useful at a chokepoint, such as a doorway or thin hall).

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 07:16:49 am »

Re:door should be locked by dwarves instead of player.

I wanted to post the same suggestion but obviously it was already posted.

Hence: bump.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 08:59:43 am »

As I understand it, many of these are difficult because of the way pathing works.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 09:12:33 am »

This would be implemented better as an effect of burrows, rather than as a modification of pathfinding.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 12:26:17 pm »

Hmm, I don't think burrows have anything to do with door (un)locking, unless I am totally wrong somewhere.

IIRC the idea of burrows is that you can designate a limited area for a dwarf to live and work in. What does this have to do with doors being magically locked and unlocked by the Omnipresent Entity Better Known As Player?
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 01:02:29 pm »

Hmm, I don't think burrows have anything to do with door (un)locking, unless I am totally wrong somewhere.

IIRC the idea of burrows is that you can designate a limited area for a dwarf to live and work in. What does this have to do with doors being magically locked and unlocked by the Omnipresent Entity Better Known As Player?
Because making doors locked and unlocked simultaneously for different dwarves causes trouble with pathfinding, that's not easily solved. By using burrows, dwarves would effectively ignore what's behind that door, without trying to path through it. (I presume burrows would make 1. Dwarves be ignored as candidates for jobs outside their burrow and 2. Make dwarves ignore stuff outside their burrow.)

Also, denying acces to certain dwarves would require an AI that can handle wanting stuff behind that door, but not being allowed to, but still trying to get at it in the long term. That can be tricky.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 05:41:40 pm »

Because making doors locked and unlocked simultaneously for different dwarves causes trouble with pathfinding, that's not easily solved.
Just as a side note, we do have the "military can go outdoors" already, but that does have its own bugs, with dwarves still trying to go out.  I still like the sound of the OP, though, and once whatever framework is done to allow the AI pathing to deal with it effectively, I hope it goes in.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 06:33:43 pm »

Because making doors locked and unlocked simultaneously for different dwarves causes trouble with pathfinding, that's not easily solved.
Just as a side note, we do have the "military can go outdoors" already, but that does have its own bugs, with dwarves still trying to go out.  I still like the sound of the OP, though, and once whatever framework is done to allow the AI pathing to deal with it effectively, I hope it goes in.
The difficult part is that the pathfinding works with connectivity maps. So a dwarf trying to go through the guarded door would keep trying, since the connectivity map indicates it as passable. Or it might indicate it as unpassable, in which case the dwarf won't try at all. So the atmosphere of the idea is great, but with the way pathfinding works, it's n/a. To make that appropriate, pathfinding needs a complete conceptual overhaul: instead of finding an exact path within a strictly defined space, dwarves would go from landmark to landmark, only realizing underway that the destination is not accessible this way, getting lost, taking another route.

Something that can be done is posting guards who search dwarves who pass for hidden weapons or something like that. But they can't stop them.

A burrows system wouldn't offer the flavour either, but it would allow to keep connected regions where some dwarves go and others don't. It would also stop the entrance dance, since jobs generated on the outside wouldn't call dwarves from the inside burrows.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 09:27:13 pm »

This suggestion would also work if my Connectivity Map suggestion was implemented.  *warning, Computer Science details in thread*