Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Baron  (Read 1268 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
The Baron
« on: April 07, 2009, 03:51:59 pm »

From the wiki:  I did four of the required job sets, but the last one I finished wasn't completed until shortly after the caravan left, will I still get my baron, provided I meet the other requirements? Also, could the baron come in a wave after the caravan but before spring, or does he always wait until the new year?

By jobs I'm referring to the 25 cooking, 10 gem, etc. requirements for the barons arrival.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
Re: The Baron
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 04:45:12 pm »

I always thought that you just had to get a certin number of drawves to get the Baron  :(
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 05:18:43 pm »

I always thought that you just had to get a certin number of drawves to get the Baron  :(

Toady One mentioned it in a post here.  I only found out cause someone put it on the baron page of the wiki.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 07:21:08 pm »

i dont think you will get him, as the caravan gets it info when it leaves (i presume) try starting earlier or be ready. with 25 ores and 10 gems and such
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Vicker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 01:18:05 am »

The specified jobs refer to the professions of your dwarves, not the tasks they perform.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 02:47:24 am »

The specified jobs refer to the professions of your dwarves, not the tasks they perform.
somehow i doubt that you need 25 crafters, 25 metalsmiths, 25 carpenters, 10 jewelers, 25 masons and 25 cooks to trigger the baron.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 04:07:52 am »

somehow i doubt that you need 25 crafters, 25 metalsmiths, 25 carpenters, 10 jewelers, 25 masons and 25 cooks to trigger the baron.

I've gotten barons with fortresses barely over 80 population and more than half of 'em being just kids, so yeah they counts tasks done, not dwarves's professions per se  ;D (Of course, last I checked, you need to be rolling in wealth to get 'm too )

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 05:36:21 am »

I've gotten barons with fortresses barely over 80 population and more than half of 'em being just kids, so yeah they counts tasks done, not dwarves's professions per se  ;D (Of course, last I checked, you need to be rolling in wealth to get 'm too )
I didn't think that made much sense.  The minimum population requirement is supposed to be 80, and if it was the dwarves professions that decided it you would need at least 85.

I'm not too concerned about the wealth.  The wiki says I need 10k exported wealth, and I've exported at least 50-70k.  Not sure about my fortresses total wealth, but I don't think it should be an issue, as I already have several artifacts (~6 I think), in addition to numerous masterpiece engravings and furniture.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 08:24:57 am »

i'm pretty sure that you need job manager tasks to get the baron, because i don't use that system and never got one (it was always a count straight away).
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 11:05:35 am »

The count is basically an upgraded baron. The job manager screen has nothing to do with it- I always get the baron without it.

I think tasks you do in winter count too, but don't quote me on it.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 12:48:40 am »

Well, I just got a baroness, baron consort, hammerer and tax collector.  I'm assuming that the jobs do not have to be finished before the caravan leaves, but there's always the chance that I forgot jobs I had done earlier in the year.