Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inspirational designs  (Read 1462 times)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Inspirational designs
« on: April 01, 2009, 04:56:19 am »

i'm having a bit of an architect's block so i've decided to start this thread. post any designs that made you think 'damn, i must do something like that'.

here's one: Relicrags, a magnificent fortress with a river flowing alongside the spiralling road, through the fortress and into the pits. also grand hallways with pillars, 2-storey architecture and an arena surrounded by magma.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
Re: Inspirational designs
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 08:47:35 am »

That's one of the coolest forts I've seen. Curving roads, an underground cave river complete with roads.. And then to top it off, it's even got a whole town underground!
Gragh, we need more forts like these.
This is -ing good wood!

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:45:08 am »

I'm partial to above ground fortresses, so I was impressed by this one.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5177-strengthcrown

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 10:55:34 am »

The stuff you posted about the spacing of the repeater gave me the idea to build a binary counter. Just a machine that counts, nothing else. Maybe resets itself once it set all "bits". I'm not too good with stuff like this, I'm kinda baffled that I even can think of a way to build it, but I'm not sure if it will work.

there was this fort, called numberabbey, I havent looked at it too thorougly, but I guess that one was a working binary calculator.

all i want my machine to do is just count continously, just for shits and giggles. Actually, I would be pretty proud if I could do it. Ill get my lazy ass on my bicyle, listen to some music and ponder it through.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 11:13:33 am »

How not to make a fortress.
Everything here leaks, is broken or doesn't work properly.
http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-4671-inkdepths
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 12:56:15 pm »

I'll never try to design a mechanical computer while riding a bike again. That was NOT fun.  ;D

dead dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 01:45:01 pm »

how about a city in the clouds?

make an above ground fort that is accessed by long stairways.  all areas have to be ten levels above ground level or something like that.

pump up water to make rivers in the sky the come crashing down the the earth again.

name your leader "lando".

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 11:02:30 pm »

Yay! I finally got my automatic drowning chamber up and running, and after a year of waiting for a siege to drop by, it managed to kill an ambushing party. So, that was cool.

Check it out:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1251-clockworkdrowningentrywayinaction

Never had to pull a single lever or station a single soldier. I just wish I had more goblins show up for the slaughter.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 11:05:17 pm by Coaldiamond »

dead dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 11:39:59 pm »

just a question, in that video your dwarves seem to move pretty fast.  did you speed it up?

playing on a mac and the fps doesn't work so i can't really tell if my machine is running slowly or not.  I would love to see my dwarves haul ass/stone like that!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 12:59:37 am »

that video is about ~50fps. most people try to get 100fps. so yeah, it's pretty slow.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

dead dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 10:05:16 am »

damn...

well, gonna have to up the memory.

i need those dwarves to work faster!

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 10:41:11 am »

That video was recorded while 168 dwarves and ~15 animals were running around. I had to turn of the TEMPERATURE calculations in the init file in order to get above 25 FPS at this late stage in the fort.

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 11:38:33 am »

that video is about ~50fps. most people try to get 100fps. so yeah, it's pretty slow.

I think my record is a fort of 20 or so dwarves with no animals running at 350fps O.o I miss it...
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 04:27:38 pm »

Seriously? Unless I play the whole local screen, I can play at 100 FPS constantly. I've got a 6x6 with 60 dwarves that has a lot of flowing water and I still top out. Even ambushes, sieges, and caravans don't make a dent ( about 59 cats also at last count).
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.