Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does "at war" work?  (Read 816 times)

sev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my blog
How does "at war" work?
« on: April 06, 2009, 12:23:52 am »

Looking through Legends, trying to figure out the peace/war relations of my current world, I've discovered I'm confused.

I can see the "groups" belong to "civilizations" and found "sites."

What controls when a civilization is at war, and when just one group of the civilization is at war?

The dwarven civ Crimson Bridge was at war with the goblin civ Lustful Dungeons.  I can tell this by the various Legends entries for the Lustful Dungeons indicating that this civ attacked some-group of the Crimson Bridge at some-place, interspersed with periodic "The Lustful Dungeons accepted an offer of peace from The Crimson Bridge."  Okay, civ-on-civ war and peace.  I get this.

On the other hand, some-but-not-all of the peace offerings with elven civilizations occur with dwarven and human groups.  I have:

The Creative Spears (dwarf group, belongs to Crimson Bridge) rejected an offer of peace from the Lion of Snarls (elven civ)

vs.

The Deep Tusk (different elven civ) accepted an offering from The Crimson Bridge (dwarven civ)

Both of those elven civs had peace offers with the Group of Organs, a human group.

So, is there a rhyme or reason here, as to when a group is at war, vs. when a civ is at war?  I admit to being a little disappointed when I found that only one group of my civ is currently at war with the elvs, not the whole civilization (and therefore not my fort).

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: How does "at war" work?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 01:03:27 am »

I think only civs can be at war, but there is some confusion on the legends screen about the agents in the conflict and its resolution. I would venture that when an offer of peace is rejected, the group doing the rejection is listed, but when an offer of peace is accepted, then the civ is listed.

The above is pure conjecture, however.

This would not explain why I once saw two human groups in the same civ fighting each other.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
Re: How does "at war" work?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 09:20:29 am »

If you are at war with humans from the ledgends, will they seige your fort/
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)