Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gameplay - When a corpse is destroyed, do not have it fill a coffin  (Read 1081 times)

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile

This is just a minor annoyance really... But For quite a while now in my fort, I have been operating a crematorium.

Now that I have decided to place some coffins for burial, all the dwarves that I have cremated are being placed in the coffins. *(I Say placed I mean they just take up a coffin even though their bones have been burned)

Would it be possible to track dwarves who's bones have been destroyed and not have them take up a coffin?
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gameplay - When a corpse is destroyed, do not have it fill a coffin
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 12:56:57 pm »

What your seeing here isn't an instance of being unrealistic.

It is pretty much that without the body they pretty much left the Coffin as his grave site. They do this in real life for many people who have died but who they cannot get the corpse of (War and Drowning at sea).

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 01:04:35 pm »

I beleve the future solution to this issue will be allowing players to select whom is "buried" in a particular tomb.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 01:07:20 pm »

I beleve the future solution to this issue will be allowing players to select whom is "buried" in a particular tomb.

You can already do this... but you have to do it before they are dead.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 05:38:37 pm »

Alternatively you could implement a 'dwarves cremate corpses' option in the orders menu, which takes place at a smelter and produces an 'Urist McDead's ashes' item which can then be placed in a tomb.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 05:41:16 pm »

Alternatively you could implement a 'dwarves cremate corpses' option in the orders menu, which takes place at a smelter and produces an 'Urist McDead's ashes' item which can then be placed in a tomb.

But doesn't that keep the original problem that the Topic creator wants to skip out on using Coffins altogether by destroying bodies? (that is what I think he said)

What about shipping dead bodies off to be burried in the Heartland at a price?

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 07:41:39 am »

Yeah, I know that it is entirely plausible that in real life people who have been cremated get a "Burial site" as well.. but it did not fit my dwarven religion I had viewed for them.

Dwarfs who have served their fortress well, such as commoners and haulers get to have their souls quickly released to the afterlife to enjoy the fruits of the mountainhome of eternity with nothing remaining on this plane to hold their souls back.  No tears, No crying, no worries, no regrets. Their meat is quickly consumed by the purifying magma of the earth and their souls are free to join the ones who have left before.

Dwarves who bring nothing but discord and break the harmony of my settlement like the nobles, their bodies are thrown into a coffin and their souls are forced to endure the slow and miserable decay of their bodies for many many years.   To add more misery of the experience, I pack their tomb full of their dwarvenly pleasures and their trapped soul is taunted by their presence but never allowed to interact with them.

But the coffins which were supposed to be temporary holding places for bodies till the crematorium was fired up, causes the souls that should be allowed free release from this plane of existence to have pause about leaving it.  The souls hang out at the coffin site and become bitter when family and other dwarves do not visit it.   These coffins with names on them put the eternal happiness of my dwarves at extreme risk, because they find it so much harder to let go.

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 08:59:37 am »

Make the coffins out of magma not-safe materials, then drop the entire coffin in the lava.  I believe this will cause coffin and body and everything to all be consumed by the magma.  You still lose coffins, but should fit your religion fine.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 09:26:01 am »

But the coffins which were supposed to be temporary holding places for bodies till the crematorium was fired up, causes the souls that should be allowed free release from this plane of existence to have pause about leaving it.

There are two notable problems with this however

A) This is losing their bodies to Magma not a proper cremation
B) The Ashes cannot be found nor is there a ceramony. Both needed for this to be proper.

The player shouldn't be able to just toss bodies into magma and say "Look they were properly put to rest". I am sure that even people who whole heartedly believe in cremation would not consider it proper and neither would any fictional tribal based volcano cultures because death is a large part of life.

Also your not saying so much "What I think Dwarves are like" as you are saying "Magma is awsome and Coffins take up space" which is a problem.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 11:03:48 am »

I could see a fictional tribe of some kind believing that Volcanoes are gates to the underworld, and a good place to put dead guys.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 11:28:14 am »

I could see a fictional tribe of some kind believing that Volcanoes are gates to the underworld, and a good place to put dead guys.

Yes, but they would have a ceremony/dressing of some sort before putting the corpse inside. I doubt they would be happy if it simply fell in by mistake.

Especially since it is a tribe and every single member is important.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 11:32:38 am by Neonivek »

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 01:57:54 am »

I see this as being one of those places where different civilizations would have slightly different gameplay. One dwarven culture might believe that the bodies of the deceased should be placed in stone coffins and sealed underground; another might believe that this will trap them forever, not allowing them to experience the afterlife, so instead they might throw their bodies into the magma pipe/chasm. Their loved ones would then get positive/negative thoughts depending on whether your actions and their beliefs matched up or not.
This could also encompass whether or not a dead dwarf without a corpse will take up a coffin.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 05:36:50 am »

Possible funeral rites, the non-construction parts to be taken care of by the appropriate guild: cremation (urn, dispersion, eating), burial (with or without container), cannibalism, letting the corpse decompose/being eaten by vultures so that the bones remain, building or constructing things with the bones, relics, embalming, mummification, entombing, use as fertilizer, plant a tree on the grave, take servants and spouses with you in death, funeral gifts, put the body on a ship and set in on fire, burning all earthly possession of the deceased, inheritances, a funeral meal (with or without particular requirements), suicide/self-mutilation, gender differences, burial orientation, wakes, special clothing for the dead as well as the attendees, military salutes, religious services, any interactions with spritis or whatever that hang around corpses, ... and any combination of these.

Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.