Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buncha Cruncha Interface Suggestions  (Read 532 times)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Buncha Cruncha Interface Suggestions
« on: April 07, 2009, 07:50:56 pm »

It's quite possible one/some of these are already possible and I haven't 'discovered' the option yet, lemme know if that's the case :)

More organized menus/tools:
1. Separate armor/held items and clothing in dwarven inventories,
1.5 allow manual equipping of specific items. Have an indication (perhaps colored text) in the 'military->weapons' screen that shows if a dwarf is fully equipped in the selected armor or not (with ability to view which pieces are missing)
2. allow 'searching' the stocks screen (or any menu really) by typing in the name/partial name of your target (already available in a few menus, like embark)
3. option to have the 'cursor' reappear in it's last used position when designating mining/chopping/whatever instead of the center of the screen every time
4. ability to build walls/floors/etc over a designated area (like stockpiles/zones) instead of starting with 1 tile and making wider/taller
5. more consistent use of the scrolling or increase/decrease buttons. (right now sometimes it's +/-, or pgdn/pgup, or the arrow keys, or uhmk, varying with each application.
6. option to have the 'v' tool 'skip' to the next nearest dwarf/animal/creature when a direction is pressed. it's nice that it shows the 'nearest' possible target but it still requires scrolling over lots of ground unnecessarily. (same for the 't' menu or really anything besides 'k')
7. include a key to 'open last menu'.
8. option to set a 'default' building material, so constructing a huge hall of Blankdinite doesn't require constantly seeking it out in the list of crapwood and crappytite if it doesn't happen to be the closest material.
9. option to set 'EAT' or not in the kitchen menu for various foods instead of having to outright forbid them in stocks
10. organizing the trade screen like the stocks screen, and a button to 'mark all for trading' (i mean 90% of the time if i brought it to the depot, I intended to trade it. hate going 'enter, down, enter down' eleventy billion times.
11. ability to search out items in bins in the bring-to-depot menu, and a 'bring all' option for search results/categories.
12. more immediately useful information on the 'z' screen.
-food stores and population are good.
-wealth is somewhat useful i suppose, might warrant it's own screen with more details
-additions such as # of unhappy/happy dwarves, pending constructions, suspended tasks, etc
13. a menu where dwarven labor/nicknames/profession names can be quickly viewed/activated/deactivated, similar to the military 'weapons' screen.
14. sorting/separating the 'u' menu into more manageable sections. Especially dwarves/animals/traders/enemies/corpses, but possibly breaking down dwarves by profession as well
15. option to tell which side of a construction/deconstruction a dwarf should stand while building (instead of time consuming and sometimes unusable work-arounds like 'build something then suspend it')

I know I've got more but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Buncha Cruncha Interface Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 09:47:27 pm »

Also colour code the job list. I often find it easier to go through the military menu to find dwarves of a particular profession.
Is it possible to have a designate for prison option on dwarves(Sometimes dwarves HAVE to go to prison)

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 10:01:59 pm »

I think holding shift works while looking with k and moves the screen much farther than normal. Try this with v or the other menus.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 10:08:52 pm »

I think holding shift works while looking with k and moves the screen much farther than normal. Try this with v or the other menus.
it is handy, makes the cursor skip 11 tiles in the chosen direction, and definitely has its uses (mining designation etc). but since v or t and the like can only select certain units/buildings/whatever, there's no real reason to have the cursor land on all the ground tiles between.