Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tenth Reich  (Read 3338 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Tenth Reich
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 08:17:53 pm »

The Nazi thing has just been done so many times.  You can be totalitarian without trenchcoated officers and tapestries with bent crosses.

The 100000 year part is hard to swallow, because it's easy to imagine the human race being completely unrecognizable in that span of time.

Time Communication on the other hand is a concept I haven't seen in SciFi MMO pitching before.  It would put an interesting spin of fetch-quests and NPC conversations if nothing else.  I don't have any specific recommendations, but without the time communication part, it's a standard "oh noes we must defeat the evil space empire" setting.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 08:25:32 pm »

Considering that modern humans have only been around for about 200,000 years, yeah, I agree. There's a point at which genetic variation alone would make humanity unrecognizable, particularly if they've spread to vastly different environments.
!!&!!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 08:29:56 pm »

Of course. Which means I won't launch the "evil space empire" setting until I get a better gimmick.

As for Time Communication...

Time Communication was a concept I "borrowed" from Deus City, the first game I seen that first introduced it. A bunch of geeks aimed a superlaser at the moon and was able to talk to the leadership of Deus City, basically, New York City in a post-apoc future. The people of Deus City explained that Time Communication acts a revolution to the people in Deus City, as the 'future' can pass technological advancements and advice over to the 'present', and thereby change history for the better.

But, in 2012, Time Communication between the 'future' and the 'present' halted. The 'present' was so dependant on the 'future' for advice that an economic slump occured, and by June, World War III occured, and the world is destroyed by war. The survivors of this war went to New York City, and built...Deus City. They then contacted the 'present', thereby repeating the same cycle.

Time Communication was mostly an excuse that would explain how the people in the present would be able to interact in the future, in many different ways, not just in passing knowledge, but also people in the present hiding caches that could be found in the future.

I never intended for the "Tenth Reich using Time Communication" to be anything other than fluff. So the idea that time communication can "put an interesting spin of fetch-quests and NPC conservations"...intrigues me. How would it work? Maybe I could just salvage the Time Communication part...
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 08:42:54 pm »

Alright, we have a nice, big fluffy backstory for this game of yours.

How about game mechanics, I want to hear your ideas on how the game will play.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 08:52:28 pm »

Quite simply. You play as a fleet. You can buy mining ships and war ships, and go out and mine stuff. You then sell it for money. You can build planets, protect planets from the other Faction, and also seek take over other planets and destroy the fleets of the Other Side. Random events can occur some times that allow you to get rich quick too, if you're lucky.

Appearntly, the engine I am using have the Black Market and a bunch of Alien relics that can also help you get rich quick. However, it is illegal to trade on the Black Market or buy Alien relics. Hm. I need to come up with some strange fluff reason to justify that. In order to buy from the Black Market, you also need to have some research fleet to help you learn how to use the technologies in question.

I am using an engine to make this MMORPG, so it isn't the best thing ever.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 08:55:32 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 09:03:07 pm »

Sort of related:  Are they making a WH40K online to go with WH online?
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 09:12:04 pm »

There've been rumors about a 40K MMO since before WHOnline was announced.  There was this press release from now more than two years ago.  If WH Online makes a strong property, 40K Online will probably be soon in coming.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 [2]