Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: No Faith for USA  (Read 6548 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: No Faith for USA
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2009, 07:27:29 am »

I'm guessing China has a MASSIVE GDP then...
It does.  And it's growing at a much larger rate than most other countries, even in a global recession.  The big question is "Where is the wealth going?".  The answer is certainly not to the Chinese populace.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2009, 11:03:38 am »

Just recently it has gone to the rest of the world in the form of loans in order to prop up systems that are too top-heavy to stand under their own power.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2009, 06:17:58 pm »

I'm guessing China has a MASSIVE GDP then...
It does.  And it's growing at a much larger rate than most other countries, even in a global recession.  The big question is "Where is the wealth going?".  The answer is certainly not to the Chinese populace.

I dunno, I live in Vancouver and I know a bunch of mainland chinese people. They're all filthy rich. They just don't act or seem rich because that'll get you killed/kidnapped in China.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!!&!!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2009, 10:58:40 pm »

Oh, hell no no no, GDP does not suggest everyone is happier. I remember one time when politicians in Malaysia were bragging about GDP/trade going up 15%. Well, salaries dropped. Food price for basic stuff like rice and bread doubled. Petrol went up 50%.

Guess what? After our GDP went up, the federal government lost all its urban states to the opposition for the first time in history. The only reason they were still in government was that the rural people who didn't buy food or petrol thought that they were doing well. And of course, subtle threats.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2009, 10:35:46 am »

Oh, hell no no no, GDP does not suggest everyone is happier. I remember one time when politicians in Malaysia were bragging about GDP/trade going up 15%. Well, salaries dropped. Food price for basic stuff like rice and bread doubled. Petrol went up 50%.

Guess what? After our GDP went up, the federal government lost all its urban states to the opposition for the first time in history. The only reason they were still in government was that the rural people who didn't buy food or petrol thought that they were doing well. And of course, subtle threats.
All parties have a hardcore of the ignorant who will never leave them (generally for the right wing parties it's the rural areas, and for the left it tends to be urban workers).  I think the trick is to win the middle ground (see: New Labour) while trying to avoid alienating everyone by being crap (see: New Labour).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]