Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "High Priority" zone designation  (Read 669 times)

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"High Priority" zone designation
« on: April 06, 2009, 01:15:19 am »

I'm not searching the archives as thoroughly as I could for this suggestion cos I'd bring it up anyway, not having it (or something which provides the same solution) is getting a little annoying.

I've got a big ol endless digging project to the Northeast, and to the southwest, a small and slightly more distant digging project but one that's WAY. MORE. IMPORTANT.

I wish I could just lay down an "URGENT" activity zone over it, instead of blocking off access to my b.o.e.d.p. (which entails un-designating the majority of it)

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "High Priority" zone designation
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 12:24:00 pm »

Yeah, this has already been brought up several times and if you look at the eternal suggestions list (One of the sticky posts) You'll find it is already in about the top 5 of things people most want worked on.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

vitaoma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 12:34:15 pm »

This has been posted many many times and I've agreed to each of them.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 02:14:30 pm »

I'm not searching the archives as thoroughly as I could for this suggestion cos I'd bring it up anyway, not having it (or something which provides the same solution) is getting a little annoying.

I've got a big ol endless digging project to the Northeast, and to the southwest, a small and slightly more distant digging project but one that's WAY. MORE. IMPORTANT.

I wish I could just lay down an "URGENT" activity zone over it, instead of blocking off access to my b.o.e.d.p. (which entails un-designating the majority of it)

Already been suggested, a bunch of times. however, as advice for your problem, why not just designate the less important one with a very low priority activity zone? If each step toward it counts as 25 for your dorfs, they'll most likely just do the farther away one you want them to work on.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 02:27:50 pm »

Already been suggested, a bunch of times. however, as advice for your problem, why not just designate the less important one with a very low priority activity zone? If each step toward it counts as 25 for your dorfs, they'll most likely just do the farther away one you want them to work on.

They seem to do digging jobs from the bottom left to the top right or some such.. not by distance.

It gets real weird when you have two areas designated 15 levels apart and they run from the bottom level to the top level to dig a square or two and then run back down to the bottom.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 03:46:39 pm »

It's an artifact of the fact that dwarves don't pick jobs, jobs pick dwarves.  And the stone that asks for a dwarf first is the one with the lowest location index.

Toady has said that the entire job system would have to be rebuilt, more or less from the ground up, in order to implement this.  But yes, it is a highly sought after feature.  Search the forum for "Job priorities" sometime.