Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caged Captives  (Read 585 times)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caged Captives
« on: March 30, 2009, 09:53:07 am »

I was curious; is there a way to check the gender of an animal you have caught in a cage trap without 'constructing' the cage trap? I caught a bunch of unicorns the other night, modded the game to allow for tame unicorns [Hey if the pansy elves can do it, surely a dwarf could hammer a unicorn into submission]... But I was just curious to see if I managed to snag a breeding pair or not.

I guess this would also apply to captives of other species too, no doubt?

Edit: COULD you make Goblins or Kobolds able to be tamed? o.O
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Caged Captives
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 10:56:13 am »

Adding the [PET] tag to civilization creatures does odd things, but I don't think it works very well.

But to check for gender, just go to the animals screen from the fortress status screen.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 11:43:53 am »

According to the wiki and from what I've seen, every other animal source (embark purchases, caravan deliveries) alternates between genders, so any two consecutive animals is guaranteed to cover that.

Whether or not that means that particular animal type will then breed in captivity is another question.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 03:05:59 pm »

Adding the [PET] tag to civilization creatures does odd things, but I don't think it works very well.

But to check for gender, just go to the animals screen from the fortress status screen.

Animals screen won't list my unicorns because they haven't been tamed yet, they're wild and just sitting in cages.

According to the wiki and from what I've seen, every other animal source (embark purchases, caravan deliveries) alternates between genders, so any two consecutive animals is guaranteed to cover that.

Whether or not that means that particular animal type will then breed in captivity is another question.

This is from none of those sources unfortunately. I set Unicorns tamable, so we'll see if they'll breed or not.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 03:09:36 pm »

When catching unicorns in cages you probably aren't guaranteed to catch them in the order they popped onto the map -_-;
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 05:19:10 pm »

When catching unicorns in cages you probably aren't guaranteed to catch them in the order they popped onto the map -_-;

Hence why I was hoping to look at the genders of the ones I caught -before- taming them.