Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fire snakes  (Read 3663 times)

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire snakes
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 12:35:34 am »

Hey, how does vials liquid fire stack up as a trade good?
I figure, I'm going to build a bunch of traps, give my trappers and dissectors something to do, and give my glassmakers some practice.  Though, it seems that the vials will be more valuable than the contents.

Firesnake extract "liquid fire" is worth 100 dorfbux. The (living) snake itself its only worth 5 dorfbux.

I don't even know if its worth baiting the trap, because your trapper likes to use a stack of 5 valuable foodstuffs to bait the trap and the snake rolls up, eats the entire stack and is never caught.

Honestly, I'd love to have a living incendiary snake as a pet, but I guess too many otherwise perfectly awesome workdays slaving away in the goddamn scorching heat and soot and labor of the magma furnaces were completely ruined by seeing one slither across the floor.

Cultural differences, I guess.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 02:58:00 am »

Well, you don't have to set animal traps to catch the fire snakes. Just use the "Catch live land animal" from the kennels, and your trappers will use animal traps in the process.

But whatever you do, don't tame the fire snakes. And then don't dump them near your stockpiles to free up the animal traps. I did that, and my carpenter went melancholy from all the destroyed wooden items.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 09:55:44 am »

I don't see why Dwarves don't kill vermin. Espeically if they hate them. They should be like "Ugh, I hate firesnakes, I must squish you now" instead they look at them, make a mental note, and then go back to their quarters and write "Dear Diary, oh, I was accosted by a HORRIBLE VERMIN while working at the magma forges today and I just HAD to tell you!"

I think "hate" is the wrong verb here - they act just like my wife does around spiders.  She hates/fears them to a ridiculous degree, and so when she sees one she generally moves rapidly in the other direction.  Being accosted by a spider unexpectedly can trigger an unhappy thought, and she definitely remembers specific occasions years later, like "that wolf spider that was on the showerhead" or "the long-legged spider that sprinted across the kitchen floor".  The only thing that is unusual is the number of dwarves who have such strong feelings about creatures like that.  In my experience fewer than one in twenty (overworld-dwelling human) people have a phobia like that.

Perhaps living underground intensifies it.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

galmud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 11:53:03 am »

Yeah, good point. I don't know much about cats or animal behavior, but I guess cats don't really try to bite things that are actually on fire.

I don't see why Dwarves don't kill vermin. Espeically if they hate them. They should be like "Ugh, I hate firesnakes, I must squish you now" instead they look at them, make a mental note, and then go back to their quarters and write "Dear Diary, oh, I was accosted by a HORRIBLE VERMIN while working at the magma forges today and I just HAD to tell you!" while the firesnake is happily ransacking my bar stockpile and creating tons of work for everyone...

Or eat them.. First time I saw a dwarf having a live firesnake for dinner it turned out that dwarf actually detested firesnakes.

Firesnakes seems to be a delicacy for dwarves. As soon as my trappers catch one, a dwarf comes running and grabs it to eat even though the dining hall is filled with prepared meals
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:55:41 am by galmud »

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 12:05:06 pm »

Has anyone ever attempted assigning a tamed snake to a chain?  Or is that not allowed with vermin.  I'm just curious if the game realizes how imposible that would be in practice.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Shadowex3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 04:49:51 am »

Quote from: Hectonkhyres
I'm imagining crazed dwarves doing profoundly weird things. Urist McNutcase has developed a compulsion to jam anything colored blue up his anus, or alternately other peoples anuses
Quote from: Durt101
Erith Zasitshovith, Cat(Tame) cancels store item in stockpile: Too injured.
"Yay! Mouse! OH GOD, WHERE ARE MY HANDS?! OH GOD OH GOD WHAT THE HE- Oh. I'm a cat. Right."

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 11:10:37 am »

You know, I can't seem to get extracts from fire snakes.  I managed to catch one and stuff it in cage, but every time I assign extracting to the Butcher's Workshop, it says it can't, that it needs Extractable Vermin in Cage.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 11:31:50 am »

You know, I can't seem to get extracts from fire snakes.  I managed to catch one and stuff it in cage, but every time I assign extracting to the Butcher's Workshop, it says it can't, that it needs Extractable Vermin in Cage.
Have you tamed it?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 04:20:01 pm »

Cats and trappers prioritize food stockpiles. Well, supposedly at least. Try setting an empty food pile in the forge area

You probably shouldn't put the thing into a large cage once you've caught it

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 09:53:59 am »

Not tamed.  Does it need to be?
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 10:10:14 am »

tamed vermin cant be milked. i figured this out after quite a bit of fiddling in my quest to find the source of dwarven milk. it is in fact purring maggots, invisible vermin that you can sometimes catch around chasms. this means that its really hard trying to keep them around, as random dwarves love eating exotic vermin. i ended up having to search the wiki to figure out why my tame maggots were unmilkeable, you can only use them as pets. i love the fact that dwarves will wear tame pet vermin like an item of clothing. it allways puts really funny images in my head.

ive had fire snakes appear to destroy discarded clothing near magma pipes, but nothing else. normally my magma gets into my fort through a long channel, and my forges are quite isolated, so the snakes never seem to get into my fort proper.

as a random aside, im hoping that extracts like liquid fire will get uses now toady is putting in venoms. snakeman venom poisoned trap components sound good, but something like crossbow bolts with vials of liquid fire on the end would be even better.
Pages: 1 [2]