Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: negative value material  (Read 675 times)

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
negative value material
« on: March 30, 2009, 04:47:29 pm »

I'm looking for a way to reduce the quality of constructions, (to make some big lousy above ground constructions) and it seems like I could add a new material (via a smelter reaction) with a crappier value.

I'm thinking this, but I'm new to modding reactions, help!
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:CHIPBOARD_MAKING]
[NAME:make chipboard from wood]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:WOOD:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:CHIPBOARD]

[MATGLOSS_METAL:CHIPBOARD]
[NAME:chipboard][ADJ:chipboard][COLOR:6:4:0]
[VALUE:0]
[SPEC_HEAT:230]
[MELTING_POINT:11731]
[BOILING_POINT:13892]
[SOLID_DENSITY:10490]

(I left the temperature numbers at their default from silver, which I copy pasted, cos it's really not germane. Realistic wood values would be nice but not necessary.)

1. I guessed that having a negative VALUE would bork things. Would a value of 0 ensure that even the most mastercraft chipboard table has no value? Is a negative value possible? (I'd rather it start out 'in the hole' value-wise, but a value that multiplied its badness as it was more expertly crafted would be amusing too)

2. I don't want chipboard trees, or chipboard occuring in the earth, so I made it a metal with no metal ore. How can I make it act like wood, ie let a carpenter work with it (since I'd hate my metalcrafter getting free skill ups making the world's crappiest masterwork furniture) and I'd like to make beds out of it.

3. Is there anything else I've missed/messed up?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 04:49:59 pm by Chromie »

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: negative value material
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 05:06:18 pm »

Hmmmmm....
I don't have a clue.

When I made Magmatite (a metal refined from iron which exhibits similar properties to HFS, minus the value modifier), I gave it the DEEP tag. I suspected (apparently rightly) that adding this tag to a metal keeps the civ from using it even if it can create it normally. But I don't know any way to do that with wood.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 05:13:11 pm »

Simple, create a tree with no biome tokens; It will never spawn and civs will never use it, but you will still be able to use it in reactions.

Otherwise, I don't think there is any way to use metal at the carpenter's workshop.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 06:00:10 pm »

Simple, create a tree with no biome tokens; It will never spawn and civs will never use it, but you will still be able to use it in reactions.

Otherwise, I don't think there is any way to use metal at the carpenter's workshop.

Doesn't wood have a fixed value? The low/negative value is the whole point.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 06:03:41 pm »

At least in this version, yes. I remember I did a lumber milling mod that allowed one to use a smelter to mill raw logs into several finished boards for more efficient woodworking
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.