Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who's up for Multiplayer?  (Read 961 times)

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
Who's up for Multiplayer?
« on: March 27, 2009, 02:10:15 pm »

I've been thinking the other day, how nice would it be to have multiplayer in. It would allow some cool stuff, like having a group of friends (yeah, REAL people!) in Adventure Mode, slaying rats and elves. Or maybe to have true sieges for once.

Maybe a 2 vs. 2, each team has a Dwarf Fort manager, and a Adventurer, who is adept at sneaking in the enemy fort. Each, since they are Human players, would then use the siegeengines, but would also have to look out for resources.

Please, post your opinion.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Who's up for Multiplayer?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 02:25:47 pm »

This topic has been discussed before.  Really, it isn't going to happen.  It would be nice to think that it might, but it would be horrible complex for one man to program and maintain.

Sorry. :-\
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 03:02:07 pm »

Although nonetheless im totally for it.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 03:51:14 pm »

I am not up for it and I don't even understand the appeal.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 03:58:49 pm »

You should read the forum rules- which include checking to see if a topic has been discussed before, and checking the devnotes.   This question comes up quite a bit, and even within the last few days it's been posted.

Toady himself has specifically said that he does not want to go this direction.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 06:03:46 pm »

The topic has been done to death.   Including the ridicules MMO side of it.   

Dont worry though, your in good company.  Alot of people want this and it gets suggested constantly but here is why it will never happen:

#1 Multiplayer development takes a lot of time... Years of dwarf fortress development time would probably be lost if it was implemented.

#2 The game is designed so that every time you are affecting a change, it pauses.   In order to change this would require a complete engine re-write.  And I cannot imagine a multiplayer game where you had to sit while another player designed a 20 level megafortress would be fun.

#3 The games CPU intensive tasks would cause it to grind to a halt twice as fast with 2 players. 4x as fast with four and so on.

#4 It really would not be fun.  Dwarf fortress takes hours and hours sometimes days and days to set up a complete fortress.  Most people do not have entire days they are willing to devote to a single game of competitive fortress building, and almost all games would end the same way... Sourced water pouring into a fortress.

Those are the main reasons, there are many others, but I think that covers the big ones, they have been argued and argued and shown that they are true and the discussion is over for them.

So anyhow long story short.   Welcome to the forums. The fact this game will have No-Multiplayer is set in adamantine.  Hope you take time to see what some of the modders have done by following the link on my signature.

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Minalkra Matal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://NO!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 09:45:49 pm »

Sorry, not for it either.  Liked StarCraft but hated SC MP.  Liked WarCraft III, HATED WCIII MP.  I like designing bases and watching endless hordes of idiotic AI-led bots rush headlong into my traps until I was overwhelmed.  To be honest, I'm not a big mulitplayer fan of anything.  If I wanted to spend time with friends, I'll go to a bar.  Thankfully, I have no friends so game on!
GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 12:19:02 am »

As... unique... as the idea sounds, I'm against it. Half the competitive games would end because the other guy got wrathful and channeled a lake's worth of water into your fort.

Unless you built above ground. Then he'll take the ground away. Then dump magma on the whole mess.

[edit]Right then. All this brain storming is starting to look a bit spammy. Sorry about that!
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 08:48:07 am »

Argh.....seriously I don't understand, that why you lads ain't using the search function.  :P