Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Losing Fortress too tantrum  (Read 960 times)

Erlend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Losing Fortress too tantrum
« on: March 28, 2009, 01:54:41 pm »

I've lost 2 forts because all my dwarfs go crazy and start killing each other, lol.
But does that mean that i need to make a prison and heeps of cages ? While starting up a Fortress Police Guard?

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Losing Fortress too tantrum
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 01:58:46 pm »

I think if you keep them happy they'll not tantrum. Just check out your dwarves inner thoughts from time to time and see what is making them angry; then try to get rid of it.

Also keeping workshops in separate rooms can make dealing with a bad Mood/possession easier. If you cannot satisfy them, simply lock the door and wait for them to starve.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Erlend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 02:10:52 pm »

haha awesome, but can i make a prison and put all the tantrum dwarfs in cages? and make them starv that way but in a automatic way :P

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 02:13:57 pm »

They won't be put into a cage until after they are done with their tantrum, I think, and even then, you have to turn off health care for every single dwarf in order to make them stop feeding the prisoners.
And if you want the fortress to recover from the tantrums, and the dwarves as well, you might not want to do prisons, as that will only make the dwarves more unhappy.
And another thing, if you're a fan of ignoring mandates I wouldn't suggest a fortress guard.

Erlend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 02:18:11 pm »

oh ok damn, then i might just have to make em happy the hard way :P

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 02:19:13 pm »

Put up lots of fancy things like statues and decorated mechanisms around, it'll get their attention and make 'em happier. (At least it worked for me)

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 02:45:07 pm »

And another thing, if you're a fan of ignoring mandates I wouldn't suggest a fortress guard.

I always thought it was 'If your a fan of not having 100% useless dwarves, I wouldn't suggest a fortress guard'

Other then that, just keep your dwarves happy and set up all workshops so they can be locked off for failed strange moods.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 02:57:07 pm »

The Fortress Guard isn't completely useless; they can cut short particularily violent tantrums before they do too much damage, and locking up tantruming dwarfs can prevent them from tantruming in the near future.

Also, the thought they get from being freed from jail after their sentence ends is one of the best happy thoughts in the game, 50 times better than eating in a legendary dining room; or it used to be, anyway, but the "happy to be free" thought is still in the game, and if the happiness bonus was changed, it shouldn't have been changed much.

Of course, the Guard is a double-edged sword; if the tantruming dwarves start getting particularily nasty, or you run out of cages, the Guards will start dishing out beatings instead of locking them up, which can contribute to the tantrum spiral.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 02:58:46 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 04:09:29 pm »

Eventually the hammerer will do that job instead, and hammers to the balls strike the weak spot for massive damage.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 04:13:47 pm »

Just forbid his hammer, problem solved. :D

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 04:18:01 pm »

It's awesome to watch my hammerer drag people to the cell minus his hammer and give them a stern smacking, and then have the dwarf walk away like nothing happened.

You can just hear the hammerer calling out after them, "I hope you learned your lesson! Now go to your room and think about what you've done!"

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 04:20:39 pm »

Just forbid his hammer, problem solved. :D
Sure, but have you seen what they do with that hammer when the goblins burst into your meeting area after slaughtering everything outside, and start insulting everybody's mothers?  Bam! Pow! SPLAT!

P.S.  Will he pick up a new hammer?  Because he could be given a silver hammer. No quality.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned