Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me make grass and trees.  (Read 761 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Help me make grass and trees.
« on: March 27, 2009, 11:31:17 am »

So Ive got a large upstairs outdoors fort being constructed.. Currently most of the inner courtyard is just rocks and ryholite undernieth...

Now Id Like to have grass and trees inside... Can I simply make a pump next to the stream, flood the top part with water, have it go muddy... And will it then grow things? or will trees and grass only grow on "soil" ?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Help me make grass and trees.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 11:39:00 am »

Grass only grows on soil or muddied soil.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 11:43:33 am »

If the rocky areas are part of a mountain biome, nothing will grow there, even if it's muddy.

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 03:02:08 pm »

Talk to HeavyFlak, his community fort has grass now growing around his magma pipe :).  Ask him how he fixed that up.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 03:03:50 pm »

Grass grows on sand also.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 03:07:24 pm »

is it possible todig up soil and then put it over rocky ground?

Or to dig out a lay of rock floor and fill it with soil?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 03:14:12 pm »

The game doesn't work that way.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 05:21:43 pm »

If you have an underground pool/river, and you've found it, then towercaps and shrubs will grow on any muddy surface.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 06:50:07 pm »

If its outside you can simply make it muddy and grow whatever that biome can support. IIRC, you can even grow stuff on constructed floors so long as its muddy.

Same rule applies for indoor areas, but only if you have discovered either a cave river or lake.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 07:03:05 pm »

If you have an underground pool/river, and you've found it, then towercaps and shrubs will grow on any muddy surface.
Any muddy subterranean surface.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 08:02:58 pm »

Thats what i meant. Its not that hard to grow plants; the hard part is keeping your dwarves from trampling them.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 12:48:45 am »

Thats what i meant. Its not that hard to grow plants; the hard part is keeping your dwarves from trampling them.

Depending on your aesthetic requirement, you can have several options.
1.  Wall off the grass/tree region and place only a single door (or even no door).  That way, dwarf will not path their way through it unless they actually need something in it (can be wall, grates, bars, statues, channel, channel with water, magma, etc).
2.  Mark the area as restricted, that way dwarf will de-prioritize pathing through it.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 07:41:40 am »

Restricted pathing zones don't prevent dwarves from walking through an area; it just makes them use an alternate route.  If a restricted route is the only route, then he will still take that route.

Captured goblins and windows can be utilized in the alternate path to prevent dwarves from actually taking it.  That gives spam, though.  You should have a door hooked up to a lever in front of the window, so that you can pull a switch and have the dwarves walk by it.

There should also be a door designated as "tightly closed" over the restricted path, because animals have reversed pathing priority.
Just so I remember