Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immigration  (Read 508 times)

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
Immigration
« on: March 28, 2009, 04:34:43 am »

I've been playing my current fortress for almost a year IG time, and I've not received any immigrants so far. Any help?
All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional. - Terry Pratchett "Guards, Guards"

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 04:38:25 am »

Patience.

They will come.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 04:40:00 am »

Yeah. I already asked myself that question... and then, mid-spring of the second year, 23 fucking immigrants come.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 11:55:31 am »

I got a few and then a boatload and then I just had "No migrants chose.." this season....which is WEIRD as I've cut like 500 gems and just bought a new anvil.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 12:28:34 pm »

Did I read somewhere that it was also related to how the Emmisaries & Traders viewed your fortress, the type of deals you gave them, and not just what they saw/what you have??? (Not sure - a lot to read, a lot's been read.)

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 12:58:37 pm »

Keep in mind that most dwarves like to emigrate during spring, so that will generally be when you get the most.  Very very few if any like to move during winter, and you'll generally not get any during fall.  Spring is your big season, followed by summer.

I'm not even sure if it is possible to get any immigrants before the spring of your second year.  How many come depends on alot of things I think, because I just recently had a time where I didn't trade during the fall, and got over 23 new dwarves the following spring.  The traders didn't even get to see anything beyond the entrance of my fort, so all they saw was a dog on a leash.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 01:17:36 pm »

Never had migrants before first trading session.

Keep in mind that most dwarves like to emigrate during spring, so that will generally be when you get the most.  Very very few if any like to move during winter, and you'll generally not get any during fall.  Spring is your big season, followed by summer.

I'm not even sure if it is possible to get any immigrants before the spring of your second year.  How many come depends on alot of things I think, because I just recently had a time where I didn't trade during the fall, and got over 23 new dwarves the following spring.  The traders didn't even get to see anything beyond the entrance of my fort, so all they saw was a dog on a leash.

I think it's a game mechanism, trader show up, they don't even need to see inside to know how well off yer's been  ;D (At least that's fairly consisient with my experience and observation)

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 04:36:49 pm »

Increasing your fortress worth will attract immigrants. Do this by smoothing walls/floors, and build alot of furniture ("build", as in placing furniture with the build-menu). Many other ways to increase fortress worth though. Check out the wiki for further info! :D

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress