Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Watchmen  (Read 5893 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Watchmen
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2009, 05:35:45 pm »

This post I think my least favorite part about the movie was the soundtrack. I would have loved an original soundtrack, with music written in the style of the 1960's. I'd even have been happy with a classical soundtrack, but instead, I got my brother's iPod playlist. Aside from picking what were quite possibly the most cliche songs ever for every scene (Dr. Manhattan discombobulating Vietnamese soldiers to the tune of Flight of the Valkyrie, for instance), they had some really awful choices of music. For the sex scene set aboard Archie, they could have used any of the great covers of Hallelujah done by other artists, but they picked the original.... the most grating and convulsive and god awfully harsh version of Hallelujah ever. Don't get me wrong: it's a great set of lyrics, but other musicians have done it so much better.
I can't really say I agree with this (except the Hallelujah part).  With soundtracks made for movies, in which the songs come from the movies, the songs might be good, but they normally don't have words and have no meaning to them; they are just ambiance.  As for the songs they picked, I really couldn't possibly think of any songs whose lyrics matched their respective scenes better.  Neither could my brother, and he's more into music than I am.  As for them being cliche; people recognize them and will know the lyrics and associated messages, and the meaning to them transfers to the feeling of the scene.  Whereas with obscure songs, people won't hear lyrics, and if it has no lyrics, there won't be any feeling associated with it.  It's really better to use songs people are most likely to be somewhat familiar with.  And a later version of Hallelujah would be farther from 1960s.

The worst part for me was the gore.  It seemed like blood spattered a fair bit more than it really would.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2009, 05:44:54 pm »

Quote from: Kagus
Took me a while too, before I discovered that "condier" apparently means "called".

He mistyped "consider".

Speaking of which, I think they screwed up that scene.  They showed a little too much of Rorschach closing in on Big Figure, instead of simply closing the door and letting our minds work out all the details.

I agree with this, I thought the door swinging open THREE times was a little excessive.  They should have just showed Rorschach going in there and then we hear the toilet flush and see water coming out from under the door.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2009, 09:27:49 pm »

Speaking of which, I think they screwed up that scene.  They showed a little too much of Rorschach closing in on Big Figure, instead of simply closing the door and letting our minds work out all the details.
I agree with this, I thought the door swinging open THREE times was a little excessive.  They should have just showed Rorschach going in there and then we hear the toilet flush and see water coming out from under the door.

[edit: oh, and while they were clearly going All-Bob with the music... something (anything) else would have been better. They could have had "Here's to the State of Richard Nixon", for crying out loud!]
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 09:30:04 pm by soup_alex »
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 06:22:46 pm »

Best comic book movie ever.

Period.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 09:45:56 pm »

I wanna make my own variation of it called "Milkmen"

Who milks the milkmen?
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 09:47:11 pm »

I'd read it. I'd illustrate some of it, too, if you needed help.
Pages: 1 2 [3]