Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trainable  (Read 1033 times)

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
Trainable
« on: March 19, 2009, 10:00:16 pm »

When you add trainable to an animal, will they then become as efficient of a war animal as a war dog?

My war cat didn't seem to do much, and just followed around. Was it just me? Or do non-dog war animals act like normal pets.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
Re: Trainable
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 10:39:59 pm »

Dogs when trained will normally follow around the trainer until assigned to someone else.

I'm not sure about cats since they would normally do whatever they want.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 11:10:13 pm »

I haven't had any trouble with war horses so far.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 01:45:41 am »

Yeah, cats always act differently than other animals because of VERMIN_HUNTER...
They cannot be assigned, and stuff like that...maybe you should make a creature that does not appear normaly, but can be brought along at embark, can be trained, and is identical to cats minus vermin hunting?
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 08:50:57 am »

Having VERMIN_HUNTER overrides most of the benefits of being trainable, with the only real one that comes through being that the trained animals are assignable, stopping them from choosing their own owners. The majority of animals, however, function just as well as war dogs and in some cases better to being larger and more powerful.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 01:14:53 pm »

Eatnobles, you are incorrect, when I had my war cats, only non-pets would be trained, and then they could be assigned to someone. Also I never had a war cat adopt anyone, but that may have been random.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 01:06:18 am »

The [trAINABLE] tag overrides the choose their own owners part of VERMIN_HUNTER, however, the VERMIN_HUNTER tag overrides the pathing part of TRAINABLE. This means that you could train cats as an excellent way of stopping them from choosing their own owners, however, they will act just like cats in all other ways, so having both VERMIN_HUNTER and TRAINABLE sort of negates all other benefits of training.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.