Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Q&A  (Read 972 times)

Vaudille

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode Q&A
« on: March 18, 2009, 04:29:22 pm »

So I just started adventure mode on a map where I've also got a fortress built and have some questions:
1. Where are these mayors I can receive quests from at? Even the blue M's on my map are empty and barren except for a weapon-master.
2. How do I toss enemies?
3. Is there a way to use a skill you did not choose upon character creation?

Answers would be appreciated.

Yaaga

• Bay Watcher
  • "Mou... Yui-Senpai... Stop teasing me!"
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Q&A
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 06:13:58 pm »

1. The weapom masters are the mayors, they're excellent fighters, don't need any guards, not like the wimps most mayors are :P

2. You mean in wrestling? If you grab enemies from the right limb you can throw them down. Unless they're on the ground.

3. Train it up. No throwing? Grab a crapload of stones and throw em like mad. No armor using? Get whacked at, it'll get up there! Etc. Etc.

Does that help?
Minister of Luck - I directly affect everything in an indirect way that may or may not amount to anything! Yay me!

mitternacht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 06:22:43 pm »

1) I think in adventure mode, only dwarf civs have units with the title 'major'. The elves have druids and the humans seem to have no one with a title. Their leaders are usually weaponmasters that can be found in the tavern's 2nd floor (big M on map), so that weaponmaster you found was likely the leader. You can find out the name of the leader by talking to ppl (use the 'service' option and they'll say 'dont need your help. Look for Mchumie in the whatever the tavern's name'). You have to stand on the same tile or adjacent to that of the leader for him to answer your offer for service. Note that the leaders may move from the taverns occasionally.

2) I dont think you can toss living creatures, save for things like roaches,worms, beetles or normal sized rats (things you can find using Shift+ L command). The closest you get are the 'throw X by limb Y' option in wrestling (does not move them any distance), your blows propelling on occasion (bludgeoning weapons like hammers have the best chance of doing this) or throwing corpses, severed limbs and chunks using the 't' command.

3) Yeah you can. Lets say you didnt choose the axe skill at character creation. You can pickup an axe, use it and train the skill up, tho it will take longer for you to get any good since you start at the lowest skill level.

Edit: blasted elf ninja!

Vaudille

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 09:46:03 pm »

Alright, thanks guys. Another couple and I'm done.

1. How do I get quests from these weaponmasters? They always say there is no trouble nearby.
2. Should I generate a more savage world for more quests?
3. Will non-abandoned fortresses appear in adventure mode?
And last:
4. Will anything I do in adventure mode affect fortress mode?

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 10:09:24 pm »

1: you're just unlucky, that just means no caves or anything nearby are occupied with semi-megabeasts or megabeasts.

2: I think savagery only affects the enemy types, not actual numbers, so no

3: You can't play advanture mode in the same world while a non-abandoned fortress exists. Likewise, you can't start another fort.

4: I believe so, if you reclaim a fort, and your adventurer had been there and dropped items, they should be somewhere on the map, but scattered about. Or at least I think. Could use clarification on this.
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!