Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Civilization Forge: Frost Giant Citidel  (Read 7964 times)

Ruan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Forge: Frost Giant Citidel
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 01:36:25 am »

With pykrete... perhaps be able to use ice and wood together to get more than one bar, which could then be used to make furniture?  Think of it more as a means to get better use out of wood in a wood scarce environment.

I would at the very least have the means of ice carving.  At the very least I'd like to see the means to make pure ice statues though.  I have this image of a hall filled with masterwork ice statues...

If you're going to be able to use ice in general construction, I would think that Frost Giants of all races would probably have devised means to keep the ice cold enough that it won't melt.

Throwing out a few random ideas...

Another idea is to 'rime' an object as a decoration - that is, cover something that already exists in ice to decorate it.

A 'flawless ice' gem that can be found only in ice/tundra.  Those could then perhaps be... dyed?  Into a different color.  And used for decoration.

Perhaps plants that can only be found/grown in cold climes... though that said, can't seem for the life of me to think of any.

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 02:09:51 am »

Perhaps plants that can only be found/grown in cold climes... though that said, can't seem for the life of me to think of any.

Only things I can think of are lichens and ... some sort of berry that I can't remember.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 02:28:45 am »

Well, I can always make stuff up. Goodness knows I do enough of that in this mod!

Got Pykrete working ok. It makes for a very cheap material for making stuff, although it's heavy and not worth much.

I'm thinking of making some sort of ice berry that can be brewed into Blue Wine or used with Ice in the smelter to make some sort of high quality ice for furniture, statues, and decoration. I might also try the gems in ice idea, although I'll have to see if that works.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ruan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 03:06:38 am »

Would be nice to be able to grow something that has use other than clothes/food. Using something like that as a reagent in other processes is a good idea.

Going with the 'dire' frost giant weapons... give the carpenter something else to do -- the ability to turn a log into a dire wood cudgel, mace skill based.  Think of it like a giant wielding half a tree as a weapon.

Holly and mistletoe are two berries that are found in winter time, but are red in color.  Can't think of any blue colored berries that bear fruit at that time period.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 12:41:54 pm »

Cool. I'll have to get some of these added in.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 12:55:11 pm »

I've almost gotten the Frost Giant version done. A few more tweaks, I think, and it'll be ready for release.

Sorry for the delay on this, I've had a bunch of other stuff to do and haven't had as much time and energy for modding as I thought I would.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 02:54:30 pm »

Cool.

I've almost got this done. I just need to get Wintersteel working and I think we're all set.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 10:42:37 am »

Ok, version 1.0 of the Frost Giant mod is up!

Try it out and let me know what you think.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 [2]