Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Modder has Questions  (Read 672 times)

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
New Modder has Questions
« on: March 09, 2009, 01:15:14 pm »

Hi, my name is Dei, and I am new to Dwarf Fortress modding. I just had a few questions regarding some things I wanted to try modding...

1.Is there any way I could add things that a race could buy at start-up, like stone for humans, to a pre-existing race?

2.If I create a race that has the tag that allows the stealing of children (not sure of the exact name, I think it is [BABYSNATCHER], and I play that race in Dwarf Mode, will the members of that race steal children from nearby civilizations?

3.What are some tips for someone who wants to slowly, piece by piece, rewrite the content of Dwarf Fortress for his own needs, be? I wanted to make several rewrite mods of Dwarf Fortress for practice and to get game settings I have in my cramped space of a mind out there in the open. Not as my first mods, but eventually.

That is all.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Modder has Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 01:38:54 pm »

2: Yes, members of that civ will steal babies during world gen, but not during fortress mode. (Pretty sure that is the case, anyway)

3: How much of a rewrite? Currently there is only so much you can do since not everything is open for modding. Eventually you will run into the hardcoded wall, where something you want to change (because it would be awesome) is hardcoded and unchangeable. Tips? Start small, bookmark the various wiki pages about tags, and take your time. Download preexisting mods and see what they did.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Category:Tokens (sub cat of modding, but worth bookmarking anyway)
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Category:Modding

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 11:52:10 pm »

Adding [STONE_PREF] to humans should allow you to buy stone from the caravans.  Should do the same for embark.  The underground farming tag should let you bring plump helmets and such(and farm underground).  I donno the exact tag for the underground farming, but it should be in the dwarf entry somewhere.

There may be others, but I've only tested [STONE_PREF] myself.  Theroretically [METAL_PREF] should let ya start with steel stuff(or better if availible), but that I haven't confirmed for myself.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 01:03:19 pm »

The underground farming tag is [INDOOR_FARMING]
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 02:28:27 pm »

Thank you for your help. I will let you know of more questions I have as they come up, as to save space.

As for the reason why it took me so long to reply: I don't have internet at my place, so I have to use public internet, and I lost track of where this topic was.

And for the extent of a rewrite, I don't know yet. I just want to make a rewrite so I can have a reference for when I use my game world in other works, or when I finally get Multimedia Fusion.

Not that I would steal from Dwarf Fortress, I just am quite inspired by it. I kind of want to make a MMO like it.

So, for jotting my ideas down, I wanted to make a rewrite mod or two.