Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anti-Climactic Mega Beasts  (Read 1396 times)

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anti-Climactic Mega Beasts
« on: April 27, 2009, 10:03:52 pm »

So after several forts with no invasions, I figured out that the install of Dorf Fort I have had INVADERS: NO.

So I turn on INVADERS: YES and behold.  A TITAN HAS ARRIVED!   Awesome!  Oh wait, he only killed a kitten and then got absolutely gang-Carped by my military.

Then, 2 months later.  A DRAGON HAS ARRIVED!   Oh crap!
Dragon destroys some outside statues and then gets its Head chopped off by the First Ax Dwarf it meets.  Fight was over in one hit.  No fire, no dwarf death, no nothing.  So disappointing.

Why couldnt they have put a fight like the bronze colossus that wiped out my other fort?

Share your "Well, that was Weak"  mega-beast stories.
People burning, booze exploding, the fort is on fire, the countryside has turned to ash.  Its business as usual.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-Climactic Mega Beasts
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:09:33 pm »

You could always mod the megabeasts to have a much higher size or damblock.

Also, I caught my first dragon in a cage trap.  He walked straight from the edge of the map, into the trap.

I have tamed him and he wanders the halls freely now.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:27:29 pm »

Only Megabeast I've ever encounter in Dorf mode was a dragon, missing an eye.

He stumbled 5 tiles into the map, passed out from pain. Woke up, walked 2 steps, passed out from pain.

After ordering all dwarves inside, I ordered a squad of marksdwarfs to one of my forward bunkers and one of them shot it to death with bone bolts untill it died.

Very anti-climatic. I don't even remember where its valuable bones went.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:14:39 pm »

You could always mod the megabeasts to have a much higher size or damblock.

Also, I caught my first dragon in a cage trap.  He walked straight from the edge of the map, into the trap.

I have tamed him and he wanders the halls freely now.

I did that.

Then an ambush hit. In a packed hall. With the dragon at the other end, and a crowd of dwarves it between it and it's newfound targets.

IT BURNS IT BURNS IT BURNS IT BURNS IT BURNS

Llamiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 11:20:34 pm »

Recently I had my first megabeast attack, a hydra! I was so excited, as soon as he arrived I scrambled my entire military including the reserves, manned the battlements, and secured all my civies in the deepest part of my fortress in case I had to fall back and regroup. Right after I unpaused, the bastard keeled over and bled to death of his own accord.

About a year later, a dragon shows up, and this thing could MOVE! He tore across the map after my civies, who barely made it inside when he got within sight of the gate. Breezed right through scores of weapon traps, got hit with a wave of bolts that didn't even slow him down. As he charged the gates my squad of armored soldiers prepared for epic battle that was about to ensue. They gritted their teeth, kissed their weapons and... watched him step onto a cage trap.

Now I play with the orc mod, which is WAY more fun than those sissy megabeasts.
It's a shame that wagons explode at the sight of dreaded sea foam.

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 12:46:54 am »

Only Megabeast I've ever encounter in Dorf mode was a dragon, missing an eye.

He stumbled 5 tiles into the map, passed out from pain. Woke up, walked 2 steps, passed out from pain.

After ordering all dwarves inside, I ordered a squad of marksdwarfs to one of my forward bunkers and one of them shot it to death with bone bolts untill it died.

Very anti-climatic. I don't even remember where its valuable bones went.

At least you got valuable bones.  I had almost the same story, except I got a Titan.  Oh, and I sent out one marksdwarf, figuring I could force him to come back to the fortress and reload.

No such luck.  He beat the titan to death with a copper crossbow.
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

WhatDoesThisLeverDo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 03:16:11 am »

I always have invasion on, but I have never seen a megabeast. I would really like to have a tame dragon :(

Or wrestle a bronze collosus.