Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Glass forges + job queue = RAGE  (Read 2565 times)

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
Re: Glass forges + job queue = RAGE
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 12:00:18 pm »

I find it's a good idea to make extra bags anyway. Haulers like to walk across the fortress to stick a seed into an empty sand bag. Plus, I get a lot of dwarfs who like flour, and keeping flour roasts in stock eats bags like no tomorrow (the processed leaves go in a bag, then get milled into another bag, and you still have 200 seeds to deal with). It's nice to have one less thing to worry about.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glass forges + job queue = RAGE
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 12:06:01 pm »

I find it's a good idea to make extra bags anyway. Haulers like to walk across the fortress to stick a seed into an empty sand bag. Plus, I get a lot of dwarfs who like flour, and keeping flour roasts in stock eats bags like no tomorrow (the processed leaves go in a bag, then get milled into another bag, and you still have 200 seeds to deal with). It's nice to have one less thing to worry about.

You can play with the init file to make dwarves use bags more efficiently for seeds.

I also personally don't use much in the way of flour or other processing that requires bags, and I do keep the seed stockpiles down to a reasonable number.

For crops I use all the time, I have a 10x10 year round field for each crop. So plump helmet would be grown on a 10x10 field for every season. However, the plump helmet food stockpile is only 5x5. So when it fills up, the extra plump helmets will simply rot in the field. If there are seeds, the seeds will be planted and also rot in the fields. This skills up planters quite quickly as well as stopping my food stockpile from being overwhelmed with plump helmets. They'll quickly use up all extra seeds, too.

I do a similar thing for other crops I use, such as pig tails, cave wheat, sweet pods, and sun berries.

Seeds for crops I don't use are designated as cookable, so they're incorporated into the various recipes the cooks think up. This drastically reduces the number of bags needed for storing seeds.
Pages: 1 [2]