Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feeding animals  (Read 1239 times)

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Feeding animals
« on: November 06, 2007, 03:01:00 pm »

I think the should starve just like dwarves do -- that way having a hundred trained war dogs or whatever has its cost if you don't feed them.

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feeding animals
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 03:50:00 pm »

They do eat. They consume FPS.

:p

Seriously, though, I would like this too. What would dogs and such eat, though? It would be neat if horses needed to graze. Would dogs and cats eat just raw meat, or could they eat plants and meals, too? On another note, it would be very creepy feeding kitten meat to war dogs. Very.

000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 04:15:00 pm »

You could have them just eat any kind of meat for starters if there wasn't time to put additional food in.  Maybe a new building or added task to an additional one for Prepare Animal Servings or some such, that way they would only eat food designated to them.  You could maybe make them anything, but each animal type would want a specific kind of food, etc.

Akael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 04:35:00 pm »

It shouldn't tax your food stocks for having a few dozen dogs in your fortress. Dogs are known for eating bones, and the useless gibs produced from butchering can be another option for taking the pressure off of your larder. Cats can eat the vermin they hunt down instead of dragging it into the middle of your dining room. Oxen, camels, and horses can graze if there's sufficient grass outside. It would still give good reason to keep animal population in check-as there are only so many bones and vermin-but realistically, they eat less than a fully grown dwarf will.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 05:29:00 pm »

I think Toady said they did before the game was released, and it was un-fun so he took it out.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 02:26:00 pm »

Animals don't eat?

I had assumed that horse that happened to get in the wrong place at the wrong time while my dwarf was digging that channel would eventually die of starvation.  Well, at least it's no longer cluttering up my meeting hall either way.

ow did this get here

Maehadoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 04:00:00 pm »

Dogs will eat plants as well as scraps. Dogs will eat just about anything. =)

I think it would be super cool to see herds of cows grazing outside your fortress... keeps them outside. =) Could also have new professions, like sheppards. Perhaps bring more meaning to the animal care skill, maybe it could involve keeping dog bowls full of scraps.

Sounds like fun to me!

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 10:49:00 pm »

Akael beat me to it, but I'll second feeding carnivorous pets with chunks from the butchery (and, of course, any variety of meat, but chunks have a higher priority, followed by raw meat or unprocessed fish, then the cooked stuff). It would give chunks a use other than rotting in your refuse pile/pit  :D

Pets also shouldn't need to eat too often, so it doesn't become some boring micromanaging chore. Maybe once per season? Twice a year?

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside