Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need some automated trap tips.  (Read 1569 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Need some automated trap tips.
« on: January 30, 2009, 09:44:42 pm »

I'm conveniently located in the center of a ring of three dark goblin fortresses of different civilizations, so I'm expecting some intense goblin interest in my activities. I've already done the "overpowered weapon traps in front of a raised fortification in front of a bunch of overpowered marksdwarves" thing, so here's my more entertaining plan for dealing with sieges while I'm busy smelting iron to build my megaconstruction:

Goblins head for my bottleneck, and
1) Step on Pressure Plate A, which
2) Retracts the bridge at the same time that most of them are on it.
3) The goblins take some damage from falling two z-levels, and step on Pressure Plate B, which
4-i) Activates the many upright spear traps in the pit, each having just one, crappy quality spear. The goblins all take a little more damage, but ideally survive because Pressure Plate B also
4-ii) Activates the gear assembly between a waterwheel and pump tower on the other end of the map. When the water reaches the top of the tower, it activates Pressure Plate C, which
5-i) Opens the cages in the aforementioned pit containing a couple dozen war dogs and tamed cougars, alligators, etc. These creatures then annihilate the crippled goblins. Pressure Plate C also
5-ii) Deactivates the gear assembly connecting the waterwheel to the pump tower, and
5-iii) Opens a floodgate at the base of the pump tower to drain it.
(The reason for the pump tower is to act as a delay, to ensure that the animals are not released before the upright spear traps activate.)

Problems:
1) I have to recage all the animals, and reconnect all the cages to the pressure plate.
2) Will the spear traps and the bridge reset themselves once weight is off the pressure plates? If so, does this mean that the spear traps may trigger again while the animals and goblins are fighting? If not, how do I reset the traps and bridge? By using a separate lever?
3) The wiki says something about gear assemblies "toggling" differently than other devices - will this affect my intended trap-workings?
4) Anything else?

I know I should just make an automated drowning chamber, which is definitely pretty awesome and takes less time away from by iron-forging, but it seems so Dwarf Fortress-esque to kill your enemies with a combination of fall damage, trap damage, and ravenous beast damage. All because they stepped in the wrong place.

Superlagg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Need some automated trap tips.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 09:50:28 pm »

Instead of one bridge, why not use two that are next to each other that are continually toggled on and off so that the goblins keep trying to walk across it, falling off constantly?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:15:06 am »

Well, the cage issue could be solved by replacing it with a pit and door combination. The bottom of the pit is level with the trap area, and the edge is floodgates/doors/whatever hooked up to the pressure plate. After a triggering, simply reset by lever, assign the loose animals to a single cage, and have them pitted again.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 01:55:05 pm »

Sounds awesome, but I'm worried that you'll be disappointed if your upright spears kill the goblins outright. I know I had weapon traps loaded with single wooden menacing spikes, and even that was enough to kill a goblin outright.

Vorg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 06:34:17 pm »

I'm just getting started with this game but was kicking around 2 ideas. Both assume a slight delay in reaction to the switch. The first would be a pressure switch followed by a draw bridge over a 3-4 drop into a 3x3 room. The bad guy goes across the switch onto the bridge and the bridge retracts droping him into the room. Dwarfs enter from below, loot the body and chute the corpse to a decay room. Once once the switch is clear the bridge extends? reseting the trap.

The other is more fun. A draw bridge over the drop pit that opens away from the fort followed by the switch and then a second bridge. I read that anyone on a draw bridge when it opens gets tossed, tossed back against the now open first bridge linked to the same switch. They then drop down into the new exposed pit for clean up and as the switch should now be clear, the bridges reset.

3 problems:
 Is there enough/too much delayed reaction from switch to bridge?
 How much fall is needed to kill?
 How do I keep the dwarfs from getting caught in a trap triggered by a bad guy?

And would it work against theives?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 07:27:47 pm »

a) fill a hallways with spinning blade traps.

b) DO NOT have pressure plates link to the traps directly, rather, have them start a chain reaction of low levels of water somewhere being released to repeatedly activate/deactivate the blades.

c) you now have a Permanent Room of Sharp Spinning Death, so make an off switch somewhere for cleaning purposes.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Xenon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 11:49:44 am »

Is the area directly below your bottleneck clear? If so, build a large box with two compartments, being supported by what may be considered a stone toothpick. Fill one compartment with lava, the other with water.
Attach said stone toothpick to a pressure plate and wait for the goblins to d-d-drop the bomb.

Goblins will get crushed to dust, then burnt in to very crispy dust, then soaked to once crispy but now soggy dust and then encased in obsidian while any other goblins are soothed by the pleasant mist of lava, water and blood, in an attempt to reward good, non-dorf-eaty behaviour.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 11:52:30 am by Xenon »
!!Cow leather thong!!

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 05:12:01 am »

I always wanted to build a magma-mist trap.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.