Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Custom profession names  (Read 2590 times)

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
Re: Custom profession names
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 04:58:00 pm »

in very large forts (200+) i have 2-5 deticated dwarfs with no profession on exept health care and call them Doctor helps a lot if you have some justice problems or defend in a dwarfly axe-to-goblin combat
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

LG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 07:13:00 pm »

I don't generally use custom names, but I do always have a few Nurses, dwarves with only health care enabled.

Also, with my latest fort, once my expedition leader/bookkeeper/miner reached Legendary for both bookkeeping and mining, I decided her badass level and founder status meant she deserved a custom title and named her Mother of [Fortress]. She also got the best room and tomb in the fortress--the latter came in handy when she eventually berserked during a tantrum spiral and killed seven dwarves and six war dogs, unarmed and unarmored, before going down.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 10:04:04 pm »

I don't use custom-proffesions.
I did, however, once write an entire list of every dwarf (I named them after pokemon, too) and wrote the job I had given it next to it.

I got to 80 dwarves, got hit by my first siege (ever) and then had to throw out all that paper...
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Sarp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 11:31:58 pm »

using dwarfmanager I usually segregate everything based on what they work with, such as the following

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

juice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 02:28:39 am »

I use these fairly frequently.  With Dwarf Manager, keeping my dwarves in guilds makes life very very easy.

The Earth-Striker and his Diggers: My embarking miner, and any dwarf whose primary skill is mining.
The Mountainsmith and his Stonemasons: Embarking mason and his masonry & detailing staff
The Brewmaster and his Brewery Staff: Expert brewing (no hauling labors) and brewing with food and barrel-hauling enabled
The Head Chef, Sous-Chefs, and their Kitchen Staff: Expert cooking (no hauling labors) for the head chef, cooking and plant processing for the sous-chefs, and food-hauling and zero-skill kitchen tasks for the rest.
Farmhand: Planting, plant gathering, butchery, tanning, animal care, and other jobs you'd find on a farm.
Craftsdwarf: As a group, any of the blue skills.  I customize these and use nicknames to sort out which ones are making progress in their chosen craft skill.  Any blueskiller who goes legendary becomes Master {STUFF}crafter and has all other labors disabled, especially health care, burial, and item hauling, to prevent him deciding to venture outside during a siege to reclaim a body.
Reservist: Dwarves bound for military service (soapers, woodcrafters, peasants w/ no family, etc.).  Usually I set these guys up for pump operating, masonry (at block-only shops), detailing, and other fast-to-level skills.
Treebane: Anyone who chops trees or turns them into barrels or bins.
Hauler: has only hauling labors enabled.
Medic: has only health care and burial enabled.
Child: usually an immigrant; children can do hauling and stone detailing, so I turn all of these labors on using Dwarf Manager.  It's a great source of additional labor and a nice long-term source for military dwarves since they become legendary before they become adults.

This. Original dwarf gets custom title (Mountain Lord and his Miners, The Necromancer and his Bonesmiths, etc...). I generally give a custom name to my military too to describe what weapon they are using, or cool custom titles for the awesome ones. (The Berserker for the wood cutter who was ambushed by 10 goblins, drafted, and managed to slay all 10 of them with his steel battle axe without getting scratched.)... Things like that. ^__^

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 03:19:52 am »

I had a miner that ended up digging out an area beneath a pond so I ended up naming him sir dampstone :P
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 04:12:04 am »

Generally my dorfs are all heavily specialized, so there's no such thing as a job title for a certain combination of labors. My founders often get cross-trained but that's about it (and I like to use them as organizational nobles, so they usually get those titles anyhow).

I do use custom names for ranking purposes though. Legendaries get the "master" title like several other people have mentioned. Once I reach 50-60 or so dorfs and have an overabundance of skilled labor, any new dorfs I assign to a trade get a title of "apprentice <whatever>" until they're expertish or so. I don't memorize many names in a 100+ pop fortress, so this helps keep track of my workers' value at a glance.

VPellen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 06:23:46 am »

Most of the time I just put symbols in front of standard profession names to single out existing dorfs.

All my workshop guys (carpenters, crafters, smiths, furnace operators etc) get the standard name with a * in front. Then there are the "large groups" which I pour multiple dwarfs in (engineers, masons, rangers, fishermen etc), and they get a + in front of them. Nobles all get the = symbol, and the cover-all job is "-Peon" or "-Civilian", depending on my mood. They get all hauling along with planting and health care. Nobody else gets those skills.

Strangely, I've yet to need any kind of military dwarfs; I just collect any invading forces in cage traps.
Pages: 1 [2]