Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Assuming we or Toady implements multiplayer in, Which type of multiplayer would you prefer?

Co-op Fort (single fort, co-op)
- 14 (25%)
Muilti-Fort (multi forts, allied)
- 12 (21.4%)
Fort Wars (multi fort, War)
- 19 (33.9%)
other (explain)
- 11 (19.6%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Multiplayer: Co-op Fort / Muilti-Fort / Fort Wars Prefrence  (Read 3610 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiplayer: Co-op Fort / Muilti-Fort / Fort Wars Prefrence
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 06:12:21 am »

multi fort, ally and war mixed into an undefined rivalry. or rather
Dwarf Fortress, epic adventure.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 10:39:38 am »

Full Multiplayer world would be freaking awesome.

You start as adventuer, walk around murder some npcs.

Then you meet a player for. And he tells you that he really needs someone to kill that wolf plague - and gives you a nice axe and you start helping him by cutting trees. And he gives you more quests and so on, until he says;

Okay you earned this and gives you 6 other dwarfs (or more) and some supplys - go make a colony.

----
And after you die you can use your "points" based on stats and so on to spawn as a other creature (wolf, undead shark, Spider, Dragon, big roach) and play that until you die - maybe taking revenge on that fort that lured you into a death trap because he didnt want to give you any quest reward.

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 12:09:23 pm »

I dunno about any other form of multiplayer, but I think that if we could have some sort of integrated succession game coded in that would be cool. So like automatically after a certain time period, a copy of the fort would be saved and sent to the next guy.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 06:11:49 pm »

The only types of multiplayer I'd like would be fairly - indirect.

Trading is a good idea, but it wouldn't be terribly workable except as gifting because it needs syncronity - and it would be pretty easy to abuse. I think better would be the ability to send caravans out in single player to other forts (including retired rather than abandoned forts) and combine that with the next suggestion.

The ability to create an automatic succession system, which was mentioned, is a great idea. Of course, once we can retire forts, I think this would be great to do for the world as well. So every gets to spend a year working on their own fort, then passing it on while their fort idles for a couple years. A very indirect sort of multiplayer, but multiplayer nonetheless. Would be nice combined with trading.

And finally, combined with the above two, the ability to send out sieges on the forts of other players. Unfortunately, you can't control them, and they don't arrive until that players "turn"  so it might be a dozen years before they return (IF they do), but it could be pretty fun.

So, uh, basically I want a built in hot seat mode.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 06:29:06 pm »

My vote goes to Other: None

How would you deal with pausing? Either the game becomes real-time (pass) or the game will go incredibly slow because first you pause to give orders, and then your opponent pauses to give his guys orders and the game ends up looking like a high school slide show.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

trav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 12:30:59 am »

Never going to happen, but what the hey this is a forum for unrealistic dreams and expectations so here's my two cents.

1 - Implement the yearly status screen that does world gen and finish the army/migrant arc so that the world has a finite number of bodies to send around and so that things happen.
2 - Implement something to allow players to leave fort's without abandoning them (very little changes, fort does not have to grow, just participate in the kingdom around it and be visit-able)
3 - Implement a server that runs a world from the world gen perspective and controls who can start a fortress and where (to stop overlaps or every square in the world from turning into a fort type problems)
4 - Clients can ask the server for a copy of the map data and ask permission from different civilizations to settle a given area.
5 - Once permission is obtained, the game is played locally, with the exception of every year it needs to connect back to the server and:
* Notify the server of the years changes inside the fort
* Notify the server of what leaves the fort (nothing currently implemented, but what about artifacts, scouts, sending out armies)
* Ask the server what immigrants and sieges are going to turn up over the next year

The server will essentially be the "master copy" of the world and all of the players work on bits and pieces separately to the server. 
Additional functionality could be added around how long to wait for a player update before "timing out" the fort and automating it / putting it up for someone else to claim / turning it into a ruin.  Maybe let players have password protected accounts to protect their forts, maybe let them claim entire civilizations.

This model does not allow for adventure mode, nor any direct interaction between players.  Closest you could do is send your army off to siege someone else's fort at which point you would lose control of your units and they'd work like a goblin siege.

L0rd_ZOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 04:24:01 am »

Never going to happen, but what the hey this is a forum for unrealistic dreams and expectations so here's my two cents.

Hey its only unrealistic, I never said it was'nt imposible. If unrealistic meant it was imposible then dwarf fortress would'nt exsist. ;)
Pages: 1 [2]